Friday, September 06, 2019

And This Is Why...

Maybe we need more Burgundy
I watch a lot of sports. Obviously.

I also listen to a lot of sports.

But there are a lot of games that I make it a point to not listen to.

The reason is simple: I don't want to critique or analyze the broadcasters, because I know I will.

I listened to very little on WGCH in the two years that I wasn't calling Greenwich football. I remember I tried listening once in the car to hear my friend Sean Kilkelly, and he wasn't on the call.

Same goes with HAN. I watched one full game after I left with the sound on. I watched another with the sound off. I watched a few segments of other games because AJ was on it, and he asked for a critique.

Otherwise, no. I just didn't want to know.

Generally speaking, things that I watch or listen are at the request of others. Someone might say to me, "You need to hear/watch this," and I will because they asked.

Mike Hirn might ask me to listen to something he did, or a call he's aware of from Ohio.

I get asked to critique things often, and I warn people to be ready.

Beyond that, I try to avoid it, mostly on principle.

And tonight was a reminder of why.

We've been through this before.

Look, I get it. Crews have bad nights. I have bad nights. I have so many nights when I feel like I should just quit.

So I understand it.

But now you can understand why I stay away.

*****
I never had a chance to really climb into the Antonio Brown story today on Doubleheader, but I think it's safe to say that Raiders are a dysfunctional mess, and they have been for years.

But if there's truth to AB referring to general manager Mike Mayock as a "cracker" (and it seems it is true), then it is unacceptable that he will play on Monday night in the season opener.

Certainly just for his behavior to his boss.

But yeah there's the elephant in the room, and there's hypocrisy to be found.

I can't stress enough how happy I am that AB is no longer with the Steelers.

So I'll just leave it at that.


No comments: