Saturday, September 28, 2019

Back to Business



Jet lag wasn't really a problem today.

No, not really.

Nyquil (or a knockoff) knocked me out last night and I slept like I rarely sleep.

I had a game to do today, and since I committed to it, I had to go.

King and Albany Academy in Stamford.

I did this game really because I wanted to meet Rahill Jaiswal.

Rahill was part of the Little League World Series "Kidcast" on ESPN back in August and got virtually no attention.

That all seemed to go somewhere else for some reason.

Rahill is from Greenwich. Rahill attends King School.

Well I broadcast in Greenwich and have built a relationship with King, so it was time to fix the oversight.

I chatted with both Rahill's mother and father, and called the game with the man himself, who is also calling games at Mamaroneck High School.

My take away from working with him is that he's still very raw, but very open to learning. He doesn't think he has all of the answers. He recognizes he's young and trying to earn his place. By doing that very thing, he immediately earned my respect.

As for me, I was a lousy teacher. I was sick, a little shaken, and just off. It was one of those days where I couldn't find the words I was trying to say. So I muddled through. If anything, I hope Rahill saw that, despite how I felt, that we still show up and put in the effort.

If we don't, no one will (in this case).

I worry about the state of broadcasting frequently. Too many "me" types. Too many who haven't earned their place. Too many egos. Too many who expect perfect accommodations (we were in the top row of low-set bleachers).

Too many working on their catch phrases.

Rahill showed up, listened, talked, debated, and acted like a young pro.

With that attitude and dedication, he will go a long way.

That's when I have hope for the future of the industry I hold so dearly.

No comments: