Thursday, July 18, 2019

This Isn't The Greenwich I Know

2016 photo (no tolls and old governor...no further comment)

I've been around Greenwich in one way or another for roughly 30 years. I've worked in it and have known it a little more intimately for the last 22.

I've been accused of having a bias for the town of the Cardinals and Bruins (not to mention Sacred Heart and Greenwich Academy), and people are entitled to their opinions, of course.

But I've also been willing to criticize Greenwich, including ranting about how the town is pathetically slow when it comes to dealing with red-tape (which fills the Mianus River).

My mom pointed me to a story in Vanity Fair, written by Chris Pomorski. It's about Chip Skowron, a partner in a hedge fund who did wrong and spent time in prison. Skowron had a house in Greenwich, was living large in the backcountry with cars, wine, club memberships and other parts of the high life.

After prison, the story says, Greenwich dropped him like a bad habit.

The hedge fund life is a real part of Greenwich, from Ray Dalio and Bridgewater Associates to Paul Tudor Jones and Tudor Investment Corporation.

But it's a life in Greenwich that I've never known. In fact, the opulence of the story is something that I haven't really experienced.

Oh, I've mingled nicely in all aspects of Greenwich, thank you very much.

The Greenwich I know -- the one NOT in the story -- is Byram and Glenville. It's Riverside and Cos Cob. It's The Avenue also, of course, but it's Putnam Ave (Post Road/US 1, which goes from Maine to Florida), Arch Street, Glenville Road, King Street, Riversville Road, and Hamilton Ave.

Of course, there is Greenwich opulence (again, The Avenue) and I've seen it. But my Greenwich is a town. It's the "regular" folks but also the people who commute into New York City and do have the nice cars.

"My" Greenwich is the one that cares about people. The one that has hugged me at times when maybe I needed a hug. The one that reached out to me when I spoke up about depression and job worries (no change, for the record).

It's not perfect at all, but I find it more diverse than some of the other "Gold Coast" and Fairfield County towns.

Again, I'm certainly happy to rip it when deserved, and they'll do the same to me. But for whatever reason, Greenwich, CT likes me. They sort of wanted me to return consistently when I left for the HAN Network.

But I never left. I still did things for WGCH whenever I could, even if it was only my Friday morning sports talk with Tony Savino.

Truth be told, if I have to leave Greenwich for another opportunity again, I will. I'd like to stay, of course, but I have to do what's best for me. I know Greenwich -- the people I know -- understand that and don't want to see it happen.

I'd also have a place in my heart for Greenwich. There are too many memories to not.

For the record, I'm still planning to have the headset on my head on Sept 4 at 3:50 p.m. when the pregame show begins for new head coach Anthony Morello and the Greenwich Cardinals, as they host the Danbury Hatters.

I'm not saying the Vanity Fair story is wrong. I'm saying there are a couple of versions of Greenwich.

I know a different one.

No comments: