Friday, July 26, 2019

Off The Bench (You Know What Really Grinds My Gears?)

(Photo: NY Post/Anthony J. Causi)
-- I saw Andy Martino of SNY (and, as usual, supported by the He-Man Yankees Haters Club -- HMYHC for short) trolling Twitter about Mariano Rivera and his political/religious beliefs. Let's be quite clear: Mo didn't push any agenda while pitching and, in reality, hasn't pushed it since retiring.

It was quite clear he was a man of faith, which is why I asked him about that when I interviewed him in 2015. TO BE ABUNDANTLY CLEAR: I am not a man of faith but felt I had a duty to ask him about it.

Given, you know, having integrity and being unbiased is what a journalist is supposed to be.

Mo is also quite loyal and says he considers the 45th President of the United States to be a friend. Having sat within 10 rows of Mr. Trump at a Yankees playoff game in the late '90s, I know he was at least enough of a fan to want to be seen. There was even a point I remember "The Donald" was going to take a stab at buying the Yankees from The Boss.

But Andy Martino wrote this (again, supported by the leader of the HMYHC):

"After all the fluffy HOF stuff, it’s good to have on  record that Rivera, man of faith, doesn’t consider these and other acts political dealbreakers:

— children sleeping in cages
— making fun of a handicapped person
— multiple accusations of rape

"Now we know where he stands"

This is actually an incredibly irresponsible thing to say. To quote an often-used term of mine: #TMWIST (Tell Me Where I Siad That), given I've never seen anything to indicate Mo approves of the above. So, with that said, any Clinton/FDR/JFK, etc supporter approves of infidelity?

Do you see how utterly ridiculous and even malicious that thinking is? Look, I don't approve any ANY of the above and am no fan of the current occupant, but I don't equate the two.

Be real. Be a reporter. Be responsible.

-- While ol' Andy (Shawshank Redemption reference) is trolling away, let's note he also troll-strolled down the avenue of sports not being a break from reality. Oh, really? Maybe because you don't let it, Andy? Because, for the most part, that's EXACTLY what it is for me. When my life has felt shattered, being at a sporting event (and/or in a press box) was my salvation. It is, in fact, my safe place literally always.

It's when sports isn't fun (aka, SUCKS) that it gets compounded and I hate life. However, watch this and tell me it doesn't take you away from real life for a moment.
Tell me pictures of Paul Silverfarb, Tim Parry, me, and other parents having priceless sports moments with our kids doesn't provide a break from the garbage in the world.

If it doesn't take you away, then maybe you need to look in the mirror.

-- Wow, that felt good. I haven't snapped like that in a few hours or so. I'm kidding.

-- While we're highlighting the efforts of the HMYHC, they must be gushing over the latest "YEAH JEETS" moment in which both Andre Dawson and Tony Perez are saying they'll boycott Derek Jeters' 2020 induction ceremony because their feelings are hurt.

Oh boo-freaking-hoo.

You were both fired, essentially, from PR jobs. Jeter, for the record, is NOT the actual owner. Was it handled coldly? Sounds like it and I didn't approve of it at the time. I knew it was a terrible move, but have you ever made mistakes? Also, Tony, you've been fired from managing jobs. Did you not go back to Cincinnati (for instance) after being exiled?

Yes, I'm aware Yogi Berra walked away from The Bronx from 1985-1999.

This is also a click-bait kind of story and I wouldn't be surprised if Jeter tries to fix it all before next July.

Because, like it or not, he's going into the Hall of Fame.

-- I recently saw someones "all-time" baseball team that put Nolan Ryan at starting pitcher (ha!), passed on Willie Mays in the outfield, took Pudge Rodriguez over both Johnny Bench and Yogi Berra, and threw George Brett at third over Mike Schmidt. While these aren't heinous (well, Ryan over Seaver, Koufax, Clemens, Pedro, Christy Mathewson, Walter Johnson, Randy Johnson, and Warren Spahn off the top of my head is pretty bad), it still indicates a large lack of knowledge.

-- Saw John Nash say he's probably done with going to pro sporting events, and I support the move. I might get to a game, but it's been four years for me. Even longer since I've been to a concert. For the record, in both cases, nobody has exactly pushed for me to go either. But, still, I haven't necessarily missed it. Feel free to call me old (happens all the time), but it's all overproduced and overpriced. It's just different now.

-- The Yankees got killed last night, 19-3. By the Red Sox. Which is, of course, bad. But it's not the end of the world. Things are still 0-0 when play starts tonight.

The weekend will be weirdly different without a game to call. Oh, don't worry, enough other things are going on.


No comments: