Thursday, July 25, 2019

And Now...a Break


I called my last game last night, as Pittsfield, MA and Keene, NH lined themselves up to play for the Babe Ruth New England regional title.

I saw that Pittsfield won the title with a 7-1 victory today, so congratulations, and best of luck in the championship.

For now, Robcasting is taking a break.

Oh it's not that I want to, but it's how the schedule falls. There's a chance that something will happen in August, but otherwise, things will be quiet between now and September.

I'm anxious to get back behind the mic.

But while I'm here, I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone who helped me get Robcasting off the ground.

It's a term that started as an offhand joke and has taken on a life of its own. I actually cringe every time I say it, but everyone I talk to says it's perfect and I shouldn't change it.

Then came July 22, 2017.

I had started as something called Greenwich Sentinel Radio, and we were at the Babe Ruth New England Regional. It was quickly obvious to me that the channel I was paying for out of my own pocket (and have never been reimbursed for) would become my own station.

It struck me in the middle of a game, as Jake Zimmer, Dan Gardella, and I were working at Trumbull High School. AJ Szymanowski produced a logo (and has added various versions since then) not long after discussing Robcasting during the middle of a game on that July day.

The joke continued to build into a real thing. We have carried 213 games via Robcasting since 2017.

Audio of broadcasts form WGCH and Local Live have simulcast on it, and I've built relationships with Mahopac, Brunswick, Fairfield Prep, Fairfield American Little League Baseball, as well as Greenwich High.

Plus Babe Ruth baseball, The Clubhouse, Greenwich Cal Ripken Baseball, Greens Farms Academy, the FCIAC freshman basketball games, and other things I can't begin to remember.

I'm grateful to everyone who has asked for Robcasting to carry their game or tournament. I'm thankful to Mark Jeffers, Dave Torromeo, and Bob Small for embracing the idea of putting The Clubhouse on the station.

Thanks to Jake, Shawn, Dan, and AJ for being on the ground floor and Harold Turk, Chris Erway, Chris Kaelin, Paul Silverfarb, Mick McGowan, Tim Parry, David Goldshore, Jeff Alterman, John Nas, and the other talented voices who joined me on Robcasting for each of the broadcasts.

Beyond that, thanks to Susan, Hector, and my incredible son Sean and friends and loved ones who have pushed me to keep doing it.

I know I've forgotten someone in my list of thank-yous, and I apologize in advance.

Robcasting -- this streaming audio website via mixlr.com that should probably have its own website -- is available for games, talk shows, and anything else (I actually carried my niece's wedding on it last September). Rates are really reasonable. Contact me to learn more.

It, er...I, would love to see it be "the home" of something, thus giving me a job.

It hasn't made me rich, but it has brought me joy, and that matters a lot.

No comments: