Monday, July 15, 2019

Paul and Ringo


Paul McCartney played Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles on Saturday night.

It was the last night of Sir Paul's Freshen Up tour in the US, in a facility that his former band once played in (in 1966).

Of course, being LaLa land, the celebs were out, and many people were Instagramming their little hearts out.

Beyond that, it was a standard show. If you've seen Macca, you sort of know the drill, and he doesn't deviate a whole lot from it.

There are Beatles tracks and Wings hits and a few forgotten tunes and some solo stuff and, oh yeah, he has a somewhat new album out to promote.

He came out of the gate with "A Hard Day's Night" before stepping onto "Junior's Farm." Then along came "Can't Buy Me Love."

Not too many people -- ever -- can open a show like that.

A concert can reignite a love for a song, or even teach you to love it when you never knew you loved it. When I saw Paul in 2009, I felt that same emotion for both "Jet" and "Got To Get You Into My Life." He did the latter on Saturday.

Among other moments of the evening were things like "My Valentine," the gorgeous song he wrote for his third wife, Nancy Shevell. After the great "Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five," he did "Maybe I'm Amazed," which I frankly think is one of the greatest love songs ever. It, of course, was one of several songs he composed for his late wife, Linda.

Paul's voice struggles with that one, but fans forgive it.

Many hits were there, with the exception of things like "Yesterday," but when the reservoir of songs is that deep, there are bound to be a few disappointments.

Anyway, all went according to schedule, such as the usual fireworks/tousled hair of "Live and Let Die" (sigh, so not necessary).

Then, after "Birthday" opened the encore, Sir Paul had a surprise.

Ringo.

They did the reprise of "Sgt. Pepper's..." and "Helter Skelter," before Ringo left with peace and love.

Joe Walsh came out for the usual finale, and everyone went home ecstatic.

But it got me to thinking.

We've got to appreciate what we have while we've got it. Ringo just turned 79. Paul is 77. How many more times will we see them on the same stage? How many times will either one of them tour?

It became a metaphor for life, and just how short it is.

If there's anything that has happened to me after turning 50, it's that I think about these things.

I don't want to miss opportunities or leave anything unsaid, I suppose.

I realize it took me a long time in this post to get the point, but I hope it was worth it.

Seeing Ringo and Paul together is not just nirvana for Beatles fans. It brings many back to their youth. It puts life into them.

But it's also a reminder of how precious things are.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting, my friend.

No comments: