Wednesday, July 31, 2019

A Friend in Need



News broke and the reaction was swift.

"He's out," they cried, not realizing that someone might actually be crying while the celebration raged on.

Within seconds of the news reaching me, I immediately had thought of a friend.

"How are you?" I asked.

In short, not well. There was hurt. Disappointment. Probably some frustration.

"You need to get out of there," are the words I'll never forget typing, fully expecting to hear that it wasn't necessary.

The reaction was agreement. We agreed to meet at a spot we both knew. There was some cheering up to be done, and maybe a beverage to be consumed.

We met. I don't recall tears. Just weariness and a certain degree of resignation, along with even some abandonment.

I got the full story and said what I felt from the moment I heard the news.

I knew it would hurt. I knew it would be tough to adjust.

But I also knew it was the best thing for all parties.

Selfishly, out of that came a bond that I'll never forget and always appreciate.

It happened on July 31.

That's why I'm writing it tonight.

No comments: