Tuesday, September 09, 2008

The Best Reason to Keep MLB's Internet Radio Package

Great news out of LA: Vin Scully is coming back of his 60th (!) year as "Voice" of the Dodgers. The LA Times has the 4-1-1...
The Hall of Fame broadcaster said he received the blessing of his wife, Sandy, to postpone retirement. Scully, 80, is in the final season of a three-year contract.

Scully said he does not intend to re-sign for more than a year, adding, "I'm really weary talking about beyond this afternoon. . . . There's a beginning, a middle and an end for all of us. I know that I have a lot more yesterdays than I have tomorrows."

Because of the amount of time his wife will have to continue to spend alone, Scully said he felt he had to talk over his plans with her. He intends to keep the same work schedule, which includes games at home and as far east as Colorado.

"She pays a terrific price," he said. "What it means is that Sandy is so selfless and unselfish and she would go through it again because she knows how much it means to me."

Of being the longest-tenured broadcaster in baseball, he said, "It's incredible to realize all those years have gone by. Every now and then I'll get a picture from my early days in Vero Beach and it's mind-boggling."
He'll be 81 by next Opening Day and he's still the best in the business. As such, MLB will continue to get $14.99 from me for the GameDay Audio package, or whatever it's called. It's worth it - even if you only get Scully for three innings before the simulcast ends.

No comments: