Sunday, July 17, 2022

The Second Base Caper

 

Fans exchange tickets for a future game

There's a scene in the movie "Bull Durham" where the titular Durham Bulls are on a grueling road trip and players are grumbling. Grizzled veteran catcher Crash Davis (Kevin Costner) bets a couple of his young teammates that he can get them a day off but the others aren't convinced. As one player says, "Man there hasn't been a cloud in the sky in weeks."

"Hundred bucks says I can get us a rainout for tomorrow," Davis crows.

Suckers.

With beer in tow, Davis and company "crash" (yes I did) into the field in question. They break open a fence, drunkenly giggling as Crash turns on all of the sprinklers.

"Oh my goodness!" Davis laughs. "We've got ourselves a natural disaster."

No game.

*****

Before I proceed, allow me to remind you that I don't represent the Hudson Valley Renegades or the New York Yankees. I do work for the Renegades currently as an occasional public address announcer and my son is still a cameraman.

So let's cut to the chase: the Gades were supposed to play the Greenville Drive today (Red Sox affiliate) in the finale of a six-game set at Dutchess Stadium.

Further keep in mind that I commute to the stadium from little ol' Greenwich, CT. Not a short commute.

I left the house before 9 a.m. to spend some time at Julian Curtiss Field watching Fairfield and Greenwich in American Legion action and hang out with Shawn Sailer.

All of the paces were the usual after that. I grabbed some food and a late coffee and motored to the stadium. I parked and went upstairs where Feldman, Fish, and R&D joined me as the PA booth crew.

We had our pregame meeting at 12:45 for a 2 p.m. game. We went through all of the usual steps in the pregame.

I eventually met up with Sean and caught up with him. I also chatted with Lori.

It was hot. No question.

Since it's Sunday we got free ice cream in the booth from the Sweet and Boozy stand (so good). Since I'm a father who has an ice cream-loving son, I felt guilty and gave him cash so he could go get his own.

"I lose money in this deal," I laughed to Fish.


I even bought myself a new Renegades retro hat with their colors from their maiden season of 1994.

I then did my pregame reads, going through the process of relaying each sponsor to the building crowd as we prepared for first pitch. I've gotten a little more comfortable in this gig so I've added more personal touches and the occasional off-script comment, such as welcoming fans (and dogs) as I finished the pregame.

Sundays are "Bark at the Park."

Up until then, it was business as usual. Then I got a text from Sean.

"Are you seeing 2nd base?"

I was largely impervious until then, content to stay cool, laugh with the guys, and await my next turn back on the mic. At this point, everything is in the hand of The Zolz until just before first pitch.

A couple of golf carts along with a gaggle of people were at second base.

Suddenly, I was back in play. We needed to entertain the crowd. Clearly, the game wouldn't start on time.

Now, what can I tell you about second base? Only what I saw: the phenomenal people who maintain the turf field could not get second base properly anchored. They dug and reached and strained and tried and ... nothing.

Both managers were out there. Both umpires were there. Zolz was there. Some players lingered over. Team officials were there. The grounds crew was of course there.

As that went on, Fish (the booth producer) radioed to the field for further word. We brainstormed and, with Feldman as the point man, decided we had some frisbees we could fling into the crowd. We also played some trivia and found other things to give out.

At one point, a young girl and her aide came over. Though the trivia contest was over, I could see in her sweet face that we could make an exception. Without hesitation, I got her tickets. I asked for her name.

"Claire," her aide said.

I gave her a shout-out over the speakers.

No, not everyone gets that, but not everyone lights up like a Christmas tree and starts jumping up and down. That joy -- that smile -- made my eyes fill with tears and my heart soar. In that much-needed spot, I thought we were heading towards a great day, forgetting the bad juju of the night before.

I love bringing joy like that to people.

Then the aide returned. She explained that she now had a jealous girl on her hands and...

Look, I can be tough. I promise. I can be firm. I'm a believer in doing the right thing and that rules are rules and, in this case, the right thing was to make her happy. 

Take my word for it.

Initially, I told the aide to come back with the girl so we could present it to her and let her have that same feeling. The aide explained that wasn't as easy, since she needed assistance to get around.

Done. We gave her the tickets. After a minute, I announced her name as a winner to the crowd. An audible roar went up.

We were having fun and the spirit was good.

There were positives to be found but, ultimately, the best efforts of the crew at second base were for naught. Player safety had to prevail over all. Second base was unplayable as it couldn't be secured.

Zolz made the announcement and explained that fans could exchange tickets right now outside the stadium.

Indeed, as I stood on the balcony behind the PA booth, I watched the lines at the two ticket windows as well as at a secondary table with two more lines. Those who heard Zolz's announcement were getting their new tickets for any game they wanted.

It seemed like everyone understood the situation and there was peace in the land. Sure, fans were disappointed but I didn't sense any trouble or concern. 

But, obviously, you can't please everyone.

After the line of cars died down, I headed out to wash and vacuum my car in Fishkill and shop at Walmart.

Eventually, I told Mike Hirn and Shawn Sailer what happened when Shawn said he already knew. The team had announced it on their social media.

Up until this point, I had no intention of writing about this. I didn't tweet it or do anything on social media.

Then I began reading comments. For the love of Tyrus Raymond Cobb, good lord.

There are simply too many crazy things being said to comprehend.

Let's deal with a couple:

- If you were listening to Zolz make the announcement, you could have received tickets for a future game at the box office. So, in other words, the ducats would be in your hand before you got to your car. You wouldn't need to come back to get tickets.

- The team, front office, and staff all wanted to play. Despite the laughter at the "Bull Durham" story, the Bulls were the visiting team. That wasn't in play here. The Drive and the Renegades were ready to go. This was no great conspiracy to get a day off.

- Some people drove far. Yeah, no kidding. I'm one of those people but it's sports and, more specifically, that's baseball for ya. Sometimes things happen.

- It's not for me to carry the water for the team (and, again, I'm only representing myself here) but I can promise you this was not some kind of gross incompetence. I watched everyone try to make second base playable and it simply wasn't possible. At least one of those people -- Tom Hubmaster -- knows that field as well as anyone. "Hubbie" was on his hands and knees trying to fix second base. This is the same guy that I watched go into the third base dugout and go face down in probably brackish water trying to fix a flood last year.

Look, I understand the social media commenters aren't often worth a response. Some of them are simply mad at the world, don't have the perspective, or are simply venting. Some have the muscles of a keyboard warrior. I seriously admire the customer service ethics of everyone involved with the Renegades. 

But I'm also venting since I can't respond to the seriously inaccurate things being said. So, here I am.

It wasn't ideal for anyone and we were all astonished as we watched. I can guarantee we did our best as a group to entertain with a few on-field games and the things we did in the booth. 

Zolz said he'd never seen anything like it. I can't remember too many things like this either.

Canceling was the last thing I'm sure anyone wanted since, well, the reaction is going basically as expected.

But things happen.

And, consider that these are valuable young ballplayers to the most valuable organization in baseball.

So, you tell me: what would you have done differently?

I get you're frustrated. It's not like I strolled out of the ballpark whistling a happy tune but I walked out understanding the circumstances. I know how the team strived to make everyone happy.

The team will be back in a little over a week. I'll be back with them that Wednesday.

We'll entertain you as always.

That's the goal.

No comments: