Thursday, July 14, 2022

More Baseball (Just as I like it)


 

The alarm went off at 3:45. 

In the morning.

Of course, knowing I had to get up for work meant that, mentally, I didn't sleep soundly. I slept at times but I worried about missing my alarm.

But, alas, I woke up.

I went to the computer to look for the link to log into the deposition that would begin at 5 a.m.

No email. Like it or not, Dan would have to get a call. He didn't sound tired despite my waking him up. Within a minute, he found the email and sent it to me. He also thanked me for calling him.

"Go back to bed," I said.

Could it be a short case? Oh good grief no.

Work would not be completed until 2:30 p.m.

I kept mumbling about how freaking spectacular my next paycheck better be.

I mean, it's all good at first, but after a while, I start losing my patience. In the process, lawyers argue, and so on. Obviously, I can't divulge much and have always been probably a little too careful.

I snuck in a couple of cat naps during the day. My body and my brain do a good job of staying in tune with what's being said in the deposition and snapping to at keywords.

I took a quick rest after the deposition ended, finally grabbed a shower, and headed out the door to go call baseball. 

It was 3:30. The game wasn't until 7. But I knew.

I told myself to relax. Don't panic.

I grabbed a wrap in Greenwich. Then I started the drive.

I worked the back roads, twisting into Stamford to connect with the Merritt Parkway because Waze recommended it and I was up for a laugh.

Sit. Roll. Steer. Go a little faster. Stop.

Repeat.

It would be 5 p.m. before I'd reach the Dunkin (DONUTS) in Trumbull to get coffee.

Keep in mind, Mahopac was a much longer trip to Trumbull in terms of mileage but had someone left there at the same time I left Greenwich, they absolutely would have beaten me. It wouldn't have been close.

The reception at Unity Field in Trumbull for the Babe Ruth final was great, especially once the representatives from Babe Ruth Baseball realized I was a good thing.

Oh, the Trumbull people knew I'd be there and our audience was fantastic. But, you know how leaders get, especially when "nobody told me" is the card being played.

But all good. They now know.

But I also offered to just go home at one point.

No need. The game got called, Trumbull won, and it was over before I even had a chance to make an exciting championship-winning call.

Trumbull 11, Waterford 1.

Done in four innings.


So, with the night in front of us, noted party animals Adams and Sailer (Shawn) didn't do anything other than walk to the adjacent Little League field to watch the 12U championship between Fairfield American and Trumbull.

It was wild. A wonderful game. Of course, there were examples of adults not knowing how to behave and be role models for their kids but I digress. 

In the end, Trumbull won, and the two teams have to play again tomorrow night.

That nasty little voice in me wanted to take out my phone and start calling right there. Still, I enjoyed just visiting with a few people before leaning back on a fence and taking it all in.

And while I could easily be talked into going and calling tomorrow's game (there are no exclusive rights) I doubt I will.

But...I know both teams would love to have us.

Anyway, again, I'm babbling.

It's after 11. This insane day needs to end.

No comments: