Wednesday, July 20, 2022

The Blank Page

 

When in doubt take a picture of The Cat

Every post starts this way.

Blank.

Then I try to fill it.

It's one of those nights where I've got nothing.

Well, it's not that I've really got nothing but I suppose I don't have energy or time.

It was a good day though. Laughs and happiness.

Then I did a "Doubleheader" show that I thought was pretty strong. It featured a segment in which I dealt with the Mets and how they need to just forget about that other team.

Hell, I'd rather focus on the Red Sox, personally.

So, as I promised I would, I played Fran Pomarico's brief rant from our Monday night show with the Zolz on Z-93.

Basically, the theme was: this is who you are. Focus on you. You're the little brother. But little brothers can win (and hoo boy could we go down a deep road there). Now, move forward.

There's actually a chance that we could all get along better if you'd just do that.

instead, you're too busy whining about why your closer -- "best closer in baseball," you say to the sound of laughter -- didn't get into the All-Star Game.

I mean, this is what goes on. Not with all of them but with many.

This is the blank slate that begins every night.

The one that often gets me in trouble.

But, let's look ahead to how I will fill that daily void.

Tomorrow begins seven crazy days. 

You know, typical for me.

Speaking engagement in Norwalk, hosting "Doubleheader," then a banquet and another speech in Stratford.

Friday? 

P1 10:00 AM Pittsfield MA vs. Keene NH

P2 1:00 PM  Tri-County ME vs. Waterford CT

P3 4:00 PM  Three Corners VT vs, Quincy MA

P4 7:00 PM  North Providence-Smithfield RI vs. Host - Trumbull

The Babe Ruth New England regional tournament. 

Saturday, Sunday also. Four games each day. Then two on Monday, two on Tuesday, and a championship Wednesday morning at 10.

Stories will be told, games will be called, and so on.

If for some reason I can't do a game I will find a suitable fill-in or we'll just have to skip it.

See, the reality is, nobody gets on a broadcast that I'm in charge of without them being someone I can trust to run the ship.

You have to be able to get on the air and run the equipment. You also have to know how to call a game.

Sure, I've put friends on the air to do color. Some have even ascended to where they can drive the ship (think Chris Erway, for instance).

But just throw someone to the fire as the lead broadcaster?

No. 

People rely on these broadcasts. They're not the end of the world but they matter.

No, it's not rocket science. It never will be.

But doing a good job is important.

It begins with a blank canvas.

No comments: