Wednesday, July 27, 2022

From Trumbull to Fishkill


Before I turn into a pumpkin at midnight (it's 11:35 p.m. as I begin typing) allow me to congratulate Pittsfield, MA on their victory in the 13U Babe Ruth New England regional.

Thanks, of course, to the amazing volunteers and everyone involved with Trumbull Babe Ruth. Kudos, all.

Thanks for putting up with me and my voice for six days. 

It's an exhausting and profoundly wonderful experience.

Thanks to Tri-County, Maine and Waterford, CT and Quincy, MA and North Providence/Smithfield, RI and Keene, NH, and Three Corners, VT.

Amazing and fun.

If there's a tourney in Trumbull next year, I'll be interested for sure. If there's a tourney in the area, I might be interested in that also.

Who knows what life will be like next July?


*****

"The Martian" has landed


The day ended hours later at Dutchess Stadium where I was on the public address mic for Renegades/Cyclones. 

I got my first look at Jasson Dominguez ("The Martian") and you can tell he's quite good. Tonight wasn't his night but, then again, it wasn't the Renegades' night.

Lace 'em up and get 'em again tomorrow. Baseball is great that way.


But tonight will be remembered for the home run that Derek Blau hit. Derek is seven and had a condition called Chiari Malformation. With successful surgery, Derek is doing fine.

He said thank you to his doctors and nurses with a video on the board at the stadium. Then, with both teams forming a diamond, he "homered" off Rick Zolzer and ran the bases, high-fiving each player and coach.

It was one of the cooler and more touching things I've seen.

Well done, Derek.

Also, well done, Gades and Cyclones.

And my time is up. Time to resume whatever normal is.




No comments: