Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Four Baseball Games

 

Rehabbing Yankee Ben Rortvedt waits for a pitch

10:49 p.m. -- I've finally sat down and have to get to bed quickly. Why? I'll explain...but let's go back in time.

8:00 a.m. -- I need to leave because I have an 11 a.m. "camp game" at Dutchess Stadium. 

8:23 a.m. -- I left late and I've just witnessed a two-car accident near my apartment. All parties seem OK and help is there so I can continue on.

9:40 a.m. -- After grabbing breakfast and a much-needed coffee, I've finally strolled into the ballpark. I have to get to the booth for the 9:45 pregame meeting.

11:07 a.m. -- first pitch of the first game of the day.

2:25 p.m. -- It didn't quite go well for the hometown team as the Renegades lost 9-4 to the Greenville Drive. It's always nice to see everyone, especially Sean, but I'm slightly bugged with my own performance. Yes, I'm always critical of myself. I was looking forward to the camp day experience with all of the kids in the stadium. Plus members of my own family and loved ones (Coach D'Aliso, Mrs. D, Ralph, and his child were all there but I didn't get to talk to them). Oh yeah, it was also hot in the stands.

3:15 p.m. (ish) -- I stop in Danbury for food and a break. Stew Leonard's will do quite nicely though the buffet offerings aren't great today. Still, their sushi is always good if I can find one without avocado in it. Their spicy tuna used to rock the world. Now it has avocado in it.

Blech.

So, spicy crab it is.

4:15 p.m. -- Making my way down the usually-slow CT route 25. Have I mentioned how awful Connecticut traffic is?

5:09 p.m. -- Stopping at a CVS in Trumbull, CT before the next game. I can grab beverages to keep my voice in good shape and stay hydrated.

5:30 p.m. -- Game two of the day as I watch a Little League matchup in the 10U division between Trumbull and Westport. While Trumbull wins 7-3, the game was tied at 3 entering the top of the 6th. Pretty enjoyable.

And, yes, I watched. I even watched after setting up my "booth." Then five young girls decided to stand in said booth, so I just found a wall and let them do their thing.

7:20 p.m. -- Shawn Sailer says he's on his way over from an American Legion game in Fairfield. I tell him not to rush since the game won't start on time anyway.

(Note: it was his mother's birthday and he still joined me. So he might be sleeping in a dog house if they have one.)

(Second note: Happy birthday, Ivy!)

The booth. Sans visitors.

7:57 p.m. -- First pitch of the game Shawn and I are calling: Fairfield National and Trumbull. National hangs in there but a bad second inning spells doom and ends the season. The boys fall to Trumbull, 7-3. Good kids, good families, good coaches. They fought until the end.

Credit to Trumbull, who will play Fairfield American tomorrow for the district championship in 12U. With Fairfield National losing, I'll shift over the Babe Ruth Baseball, as Waterford and Trumbull play for the 14U title tomorrow.

9:52 p.m. -- Shawn and I commiserate in the parking lot before recognizing the Trumbull park ranger will likely be locking the gate in a few minutes. I'm able to grumble to him about entitled broadcasters, god complexes on adults in youth sports, and whatever else we need to catch up on. More to say there but I'll stop (though I sort of mentioned it on the air).

9:53 p.m. -- On the road back to Greenwich as I get an alert the Yankees are losing to the Reds. I don't hate the Reds with the venom that I used to but, wow, there was a time in the 70s when I definitely saw red about Cincinnati.

9:54 p.m. -- The fourth game of the day, as I join our Yankees companions, John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman. They keep me company on the drive down I-95. "Big G" (Giancarlo Stanton) makes the ride a little happier with a home run.

Just a few minutes ago -- The Yankees won on back-to-back errant pitches (whether they were wild pitches or passed balls, the winning run scored). You can't explain baseball, Suzyn.

Oh, and I said yes to a job tomorrow that begins at 4 a.m. I almost neglected that. I said yes so that I could get some sleep (as soon as I'm done typing), work, then maybe rest a little more before returning to Trumbull for more baseball.

Sean (my son, not Shawn Sailer or Sean Kilkelly for that matter*) yelled at me earlier about taking care of myself. For sure, the sushi didn't hold me. But I do burn the candle wherever I can for a bunch of reasons that are probably too deep to discuss tonight. A short version is to say that I want to make sure Sean sees how hard I work so that he will also develop that work ethic.

But then again he also thinks I'm nuts.

Which I am.

That's enough babbling for tonight.

* Oh, the Sean Kilkelly reference. I guess I was tired and my brain wasn't functioning as I opened the broadcast. I also must have had football season on my mind because I called Shawn Sailer "Sean Kilkelly" as we began the Fairfield National/Trumbull game.

No comments: