Thursday, July 07, 2022

Bear Mountain

 

Photo: I Love New York

Don't ask me why but I'm writing about Bear Mountain State Park tonight.

To me, it's always been a gem of New York State and the Hudson Valley.

You can see it just by driving from Peekskill across the Bear Mountain Bridge (US 6/202) or you can park and experience it on foot. The bridge opened in 1923 and was a marvel of the time. 

Now it's just gorgeous and marvelous.

I've walked around Hessian Lake and out to the Hudson River. I've driven up to Perkins Memorial Drive and the tower up top.

I've watched ice skaters near Bear Mountain Inn and taken Sean on the carousel. I've also had brunch at the Inn.

I've been to the zoo both as a child -- on a trip with my nursery school for father's day when my guest was my dad -- and as an adult with my own child.

I've stood across the river and marveled at it, realizing that there was a time when I took it for granted.

West Point isn't too far away as well and there's more to do in the region. Cold Spring in Putnam County is a wonderful place to walk around, for instance, or out to Woodbury Common for the overpriced outlets.

That's literally all I wanted to say. Just thinking about a place I hold dear.

Though, pro tip, go when it's quiet, either off-season or during the week.

Photo: phillymag.com/Sudhagar Shanmugasigamani/Unsplash


No comments: