Saturday, July 02, 2022

At the Car Wash

 

The nasty-looking sky that didn't impact the game

Sometimes it's just fun to do something because I can.

I handled public address duties for the Renegades tonight.

Look, no matter how many ways it's sliced, I know that's not my strongest thing. I'm a "good" PA announcer but probably not a great one.

I think I'm probably a wee bit better in the broadcast booth. TV, radio, carrier pigeon, whatever.

I visited Sean in the radio booth -- you might be familiar with it -- during the fireworks show after the game and just...

went back to the PA booth.

My car, now with Connecticut plates, needed gas on the way out and I decided to stop off in Fishkill before pushing for home.

While paying to gas up, I was given the option to wash my car on-site.

I elected to.

Because I could.

It felt a little unconventional at 10:00 at night to do it and I liked that even more.

So I let the machine do its thing, running across several times with water, soap, and whatever other agents were used.

Was it "showroom clean?" No, I wouldn't say that.

But it still brought me a hint of joy on an otherwise perfectly fine night.

I figured my new Connecticut plates deserved a clean car, especially after I dropped my New York plates in a slot today at the DMV with a form and a dollar for processing, per their instructions.

Getting the car washed at 10 at night reminded me of walking from my hotel room to the L.L. Bean flagship store in Freeport, ME at four in the morning.

It was snowing hard as I walked down the middle of US 1, with the sounds of a random snow plow in the distance.

It was just me with a town to myself.

I briefly chatted with the L.L. Bean staff when I walked in and they offered me a cup of coffee.

I bought nothing and walked back to the hotel.

And I loved all of it.

Because I could do it.

Give me a unique but sort of off-key experience.

While not so random, that's what running my vehicle through a car wash at the Speedway in Fishkill, NY off I-84 at U.S. 9 reminded me of.

The roads were dry when I left the stadium -- a mere 10 minutes away. Yet they were wet near Fishkill.

No matter. I still got the car washed. Long overdue, I thought.

With that done, I got back to driving.

84 to the Taconic to 22 to 287 and 95 and back to Greenwich.

Where there were supposed to be fireworks but, alas, they were postponed due to the threat of bad weather.

From what I could see, there was never any bad weather in Greenwich tonight though I could be wrong.

Ugh. People in positions of power can't win.

I wanted stay up near the stadium tonight since I have to be back there tomorrow but, yeah, prices and stuff, so I'm back in the fireworks-less town.

Which is fine with me.

The Cat is happy.

I'll drive back tomorrow.

Because I can.

No comments: