Tuesday, July 19, 2022

All-Star Night

 

Giancarlo Stanton celebrates following All-Star Game home run.
(Photo: Jayne Kamin-Oncea, USA TODAY Sports)

The All-Star Game is on tonight.

I might as well be sitting in a rocking chair since I have some gripes.

You know, as in I'm old and "get off my lawn."

The annual affair is in Los Angeles and, in typical Dodger Stadium fashion, I still see empty seats. Late arriving in the third inning of the All-Star Game?

And I hate the uniforms.

We all know it has changed since the first official one in 1933, a creation of a sportswriter in Chicago. I say "official" because there were other efforts prior to that but it became an officially sanctioned annual event in July of 1933 at Comiskey Park on the South Side.

Bet you'll never guess who hit the first All-Star Game home run? That overrated "bum," G.H. Ruth. The Babe.

He's like the "Overrated Shortstop," Mr. D.S. Jeter.

For years, like all sports, it was a radio affair. In fact, the recording of the 1934 game is online, back in the day where there were broadcasts on three networks (NBC, CBS, and Mutual). Only the NBC broadcast can be found on the interwebs. 

That game featured "King" Carl Hubbell striking out five consecutive Hall of Famers.

Ted Williams ended the 1941 affair with a home run and Johnny Callison did the same in 1964.

I first started watching in the 70s, after Pete Rose knocked Ray Fosse into another area code, getting to see my guy Bobby Murcer make his appearances.

I've basically watched them all ever since, for the most part.

To me, I still love it more than the Home Run Derby but I also know I'm wired differently.

I want it to have more of the juice it used to have, where there was a true rivalry between the two leagues.

Then again, I don't like interleague play.

I also want the players to wear their real uniforms, not these Nike-concocted nightmares. Yet corporate overlords win out.

Tonight probably isn't the night to drone on about the problems with those running baseball yet, in many ways, it feels like a microcosm of such.

I know FOX is trying so hard to make the game accessible by micing up players, including pitchers. I get it and if fans like that than I don't think I can get upset about that.

On the other hand, to be fair, those conversations make the game feel secondary and the crowd noise feels almost minimal.

Photo: Associated Press/LA Times

But -- and you should have known this is coming -- there has been no mention (as of now, in the top of the 4th) of a Mr. Vin Scully. As I've pointed out elsewhere, the game is on Vin Scully Ave and the broadcasters are in the Vin Scully Press Box.

There has been a salute to Jackie Robinson on the 75th anniversary of his breaking the color barrier and his widow Rachel on her 100th birthday (which is today). They're both treasures, and I've been near Rachel Robinson who is the epitome of class.

But not a word about their dear friend Vin?

Also, our guy from Washington Heights and Fordham, aged 94, hasn't been on his social media in some time.

Just saying. It's a little jarring.

And concerning.

I still enjoy the All-Star Game. It can't be as it once was.

But I hope it evolves into something amazing.

*****

My "Aunt" Irene died this morning. She and her husband Dave were close family friends. We spent much of the 70s together in Mahopac and, as life tends to do, we drifted a little apart. Kids grew up and grandkids came along. They were still a part of our lives but it was different.

Later on, Irene and my mom became frequent dinner buddies, especially after they had both lost their husbands far too young.

Now, all four of them are gone.

I'm saddened for Debbie, Renee, Tony, and their entire family. My heartfelt condolences to them but also gratitude for happy memories.

She was at my mom's gravesite the day of her funeral, putting in an appearance out of love for her good friend.

She had a sweet soul with a good heart and a great laugh. 

She'll be missed.

No comments: