Monday, March 14, 2022

Transactions

 

The newest Steeler

Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky just announced he has signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers. It looks like he'll be first in line to replace Ben Roethlisberger following Big Ben's retirement.

I groaned.

Whether it was Mason Rudolph, Dwayne Haskins or something else (which has turned out to be Trubisky), Steelers fans weren't going to be happy unless a big name was replacing number seven.

I've personally been pining for Kenny Pickett to be drafted out of Pittsburgh but he doesn't seem to be "NFL ready."

Still, in reality, what do I know? The answer is nothing by comparison to the people in charge of the Steelers. The returns on Trubisky's career have been underwhelming since being drafted second overall by the Chicago Bears in 2017.

He backed up Josh Allen in Buffalo last year.

The announcement of Trubisky's signing has led to a mountain of laughter on social media. Now it will be up to him to prove that the Steelers' faith is well-served. They signed him to a two-year deal.

At the same time, I'm still reeling from the Yankees/Twins trade that sent Gary Sánchez and Gio Urshela (the most happy fella, per John Sterling) to Minnesota for Josh Donaldson, Ben Rortvedt, and Isiah Kiner-Falefa.

That deal was also getting the social media grinder treatment last night. Overall, I never love trades. People are flipping over taking on Donaldson's contract. They also don't like Donaldson because of some past stuff between him and Gerrit Cole.

I say nonsense. They can afford the money and players are professionals. They'll talk it out or simply drop it. Move along.

So, again, while things might not look great at face value, I'm left with no other option than to trust what GM Brian Cashman is doing.

One would say I'm crazy and yes that's true. Still, what other choice do we have? In no way, shape, or form am I (and most likely, you) in a place to judge. Can I do a better job than Cashman or Kevin Colbert of the Steelers? 

No. Come on now.

That doesn't stop us from having opinions but when it comes right down to it I'm not all that bright. Oh, sure, I'm not doing a happy dance over Trubisky today but play mistake-free football, avoid turnovers, and win games and all will be well.

I might not run out and buy a Trubisky jersey but I'll be a lot happier.

In the case of the Yankees, all one can hope for is that it goes well for everyone. I wish Sánchez well -- I do -- but I'd prefer to not get burned by him or Urshela. As I try to rebuild some interest all I can hope for is these three players to come to New York and contribute. I hope that Kiner-Falefa plays well and holds down the fort before either Oswald Peraza or Anthony Volpe comes to the Bronx.

I'm vaguely familiar with both of those guys.

But, as a general rule, despite any misgivings, I put my faith in the people who are in the position of making decisions. Sure, I'm questioning the sanity of signing Trubisky today but he can easily win me over.

This is how it works.

My approach will be measured.

Now let's see other moves will be made.

No comments: