Friday, March 11, 2022

Rings and Things


 

I was reading some ridiculous Twitter post when I saw a challenge.

In short, it was time for some good old-fashioned Yankees bashing. Yessiree a time-honored tradition!

Now, granted, baseball and I are currently in a trial separation so I read the comments somewhat detached.

But then I read it: "I bet ya their fans can't even name those 27 rings without looking it up.

Yeah, that was the wrong thing for me to read. Without flinching, I started...

1923, 27, 28, 32, 36, 37, 38, 39, 41, 43, 47, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 56, 58, 61, 62, 77, 78, 96, 98, 99, 2000, 2009.

Of course, the responses from the neanderthals were typical, with the original tweeter suspecting that I couldn't do it without looking it up. Ah, Boston fans. Almost as cute as Mets fans.

Would they like the AL Championships that resulted in World Series losses?

1921, 22, 26, 42, 55, 57, 60, 63, 64, 76, 81, 2001.

I know that so many of us "27 rings" talkers can't do that but I also get really tired of being told how "we're not entitled" to any of them prior to when we were born.

Well, 1) that's not for you to decide and 2) I know my stuff, bruh.

By that rationale history belongs to no one, right?

But, no, I'm content on this one. There have been a few responses and there have been attempts to tell me to "take the 'L'" but I'm comfortable. I like that I climbed in their heads because they didn't think someone would dare dive into their dojo and actually know what they're talking about.

Oh, incidentally, the poster that I responded to changed their setting so that I could no longer see the original post. So, again, who took the 'L?'

The whole thing gave me a good laugh.

On the other hand, the thing that concerned me but didn't shock me was how most baseball posts (likely including this one) are so poorly read here. Mention Florida the other night and the reads went way up! Mention baseball and I might as well do a post about roads.

That's the other topic that often gets low reads.

It's all just so curious, interesting, and, frankly, not surprising. Much of the time I feel like I get what this audience is interested in. Yet, all too often, I do get surprised.

In the case of last night, I wasn't surprised at all.

Oh, regarding Florida, the one thing I'll add is perhaps I'm not educated enough on the bill and the situation. I had a few people -- including someone I know who's working in Tallahassee -- chime in and they were wonderful and respectful.

I realize I poked a nerve with discussing that and I get it. I do think that Florida has become easy low-hanging fruit for the media and I'm pretty good at taking it all with multiple grains of salt.

So, while I'm not educated enough on the situation and I'll own that, I'll never apologize for the concern and protection of kids. I maintain that I tend to want the government to stay out of such things and that I want kids to feel safe.

Sometimes they don't feel comfortable talking to their parents and that often means leaning on people at school. 

So I'll apologize for not being well-versed but I won't apologize for having my heart exactly where I want it to be.

Look, Florida is special to me and it always will be. While it can be easily mocked, I carry memories from a lot of visits there throughout my life.

Plus I'd rather be in Florida right now because I don't want to deal with snow again.

No comments: