Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Today in New York

 

(Photo: Chris Hunt) That's me: star of stage and screens

I know there's an expectation for me to write about the Hunt Scanlon conference I moderated in New York today but, frankly, I'm pretty exhausted so let's see what happens.

I didn't sleep well last night. I tried using my nose-canceling headphones and they helped for a bit but my mind was just too wired.

So my sleep was, at best, scattered. A few minutes here and a few minutes there.

I opened my eyes, pretty aware that it was close to the time for my alarm. I was right. I turned the light on and began my day.

It was 3:40 a.m.

I did what I often do when I drive that early in the morning. I put AM radio on and listen to the far-away signals. In this case, I got a traffic report on WGN from Chicago. Traffic was moving nicely. Things were well in Cincinnati also on the famed WLW.

I thought I should just get breakfast before I get on the train. Do you know how difficult that is? I literally found one place -- a Dunkin Donuts in Mount Kisco -- that was open.

Our 24-hour world is no longer that. Many of the delis and grocery stores aren't open before six at the earliest. I have a deli near the house that tends to open around five but I was already out of my neighborhood before that.

Oh, to be clear, I saw a few gas stations that were open but I wasn't taking that chance. 

Of course, I was trying to grab a nice, early train out of Mount Kisco around 5 a.m....and it was leaving the station as I pulled into the parking lot.

So I grabbed the aforementioned Dunkin Donuts. A bagel (sigh) and a large coffee.

I made the 5:40 train, put the headphones on, and sat in podcast land as I traveled to Grand Central.

Today's location was different. It was at the famed Plaza Hotel at Central Park South and Fifth Ave.

Most would take the subway. Or a taxi.

Me? With my always-stubborn and sore feet and my disdain for taxis? I hoofed it. Not the worst walk in the world and lord knows I can use the exercise.

It's like my Apple Watch went, "Wait. What? Is he moving? ALERT!"

The conference is so well done by my Hunt Scanlon colleagues. The well-oiled machine as it appears to the public adjusts on the fly. When I was informed that there was to be a small speech at the luncheon, I double-checked to make sure it was appropriate and then introduced the speakers.

It's sort of how we roll.

Roughly 500 faces looked back at me throughout the day. I kept expecting Count Basie and his orchestra to appear on stage. The room had that kind of feel and elegance. They could break into a little "April in Paris."

Let's try it one more once.

The reviews of today were kind and, trust me, this isn't the kind of audience to say something just to be nice.

And while I'm content to disappear during the breaks, no one will let me. There are always questions to answer or people who just want to talk. I had a couple of delightful conversations in these situations.

The walk back to Grand Central on this beautiful almost-sping day was worth it, despite the foot pain and the sore muscles.

I slept on and off as the train made its way back to Mount Kisco.

Upon getting home, I was greeted by a cat and a son.

But dad didn't come home empty-handed. My brain functioned just enough to pick up two glorious black and white cookies.

Look to the cookie, as always.



No comments: