Wednesday, March 09, 2022

Couple of Thoughts

 

I love ya, Florida, but wow.

OK, where to start...

I'm a big believer in covering girls sports but my calendar wouldn't allow me to get to the Darien Ice House for the CHSGHA girls hockey championship tonight.

Darien and New Canaan were on the verge of a fourth (!) overtime when Kaleigh Harden scored the goal she'll remember for the rest of her life. A state championship was clinched for New Canaan.

Oh but there was so much more. The girls game was supposed to be played this weekend but then they changed the date to tonight. So, knowing "The Cllubhouse" needed me (long story), that took me out of calling the championship game that I loved to call.

Oh, they had coverage from DAF Media, so we'll leave that right there.

But, in the meantime, I had been offered a girls basketball game in Yorktown between Red Hook and Putnam Valley. Yet, because of "The Clubhouse," I couldn't do the game.

That is, until I found out that the game was scheduled for 4:30 in Yorktown.

So, hold on now, I could maybe call Red Hook/Putnam Valley at Yorktown and get to Mount Kisco in time for "The Cllubhouse." This could work!

I texted Bob Small at WGCH and he told me to go for it. Others agreed. We were going to make it happen!

"Doubleheader" would take the day off but I'd hustly to Mount Kisco for "The Clubhouse." All was great!

I began doing my research. I needed rosters and info. I Googled Red Hook girls basketball. After hunting for a few minutes, I found an account.

And they said the game had been moved to tomorrow.

And I had a doubleheader tomorrow in Fairfield.

And the whole thing went pfffft.

There would be no Red Hook.

There would be Putnam Valley.

There would be no game at Yorktown (still the only place I had to sign a waiver to call a game at).

"Doubleheader" was back on at 4.

I'd be at "The Clubhouse" in plenty of time.

Stories like this happen all the time.

I went on with my day.

Oh, and I was asked about working depositions.

Let's leave that right there.

*****

I don't know that I need to say much but I don't like Florida's "Don't Say Gay" law.

Really, there's not much to add. I find it simply wrong.

Kids need to know they have a safe place and this law goes against that.

Kids are struggling with who they are and they should feel comfortable at school or anywhere else.

You can tell me I'm wrong. That's your right.

But I don't want to shut kids down. I want inclusion. That's it. That's the message.

****

I've been pro-player in the baseball war. Slowly, I'm losing patience with everyone.

At this point, you're all wrong.

This is also a simple message. I no longer care. 

Make a deal and get back on the field. You're all destroying the game.

There. Simple.

*****

Gas prices are too high. Sorry if that offends anyone. That's it. That's the message.

I saw a meme today that broke down all of the ways that we are we can "suck it up."

Except...it's not reality for many. What's going on in the world is awful. I still have to survive to pay child support, keep a roof over my head, etc.

So forgive me if I'm not doing a happy dance when I drop $40 to fill my tank.

*****

That's enough babbling for tonight.

No comments: