Sunday, March 27, 2022

A Special "Talent" Talks

 


You might know I host a podcast called "Talent Talks." It's an interview-style show that I've hosted for a few years for Hunt Scanlon Media.

It's fair to call it a niche podcast, focusing on talking with movers and shakers in the talent management community.

It's all set up through the Hunt Scanlon office in Greenwich, as Erik Boender gets the process started. I get involved when it's time to schedule the recording session.

So there I am, trying to work out a time to record with CarterBaldwin Executive Search out of Atlanta. I'm told that Chris Guiney -- a partner in the firm -- would be my guest.

Huh. I knew a Chris Guiney. We were close friends back in the days of Austin Road Elementary School. We were in classes together several years in a row before we moved on to both Mahopac Junior High and Mahopac High School.

Chris was part of a core group of friends with Frank Viggiano, John Vaughan, and Brian Power, as well as assorted others. I would often walk or ride my bike up Agor Lane to meet with the boys at one of their houses -- most likely Frank's or Brian's. 

There was always a chance we'd walk up to Austin Road to practice football plays we scripted out or play baseball. Maybe we'd climb on the roof of the school (it's been 40 years so I think I'm safe).

Maybe we'd shoot hoops at Brian's house.

Maybe we'd listen to music, watch sports, and be teenage boys.

We could always ride our bikes to town for sandwiches at Rodak's or ice cream at Carvel.

Then we could jump off the dock at Lake MacGregor to cool off.

Lazy, hazy, crazy days.

So, Chris Guiney, you say?

I had to look. I knew we had connected on Facebook and exchanged brief hellos from time to time.

I thought he was in Atlanta but I couldn't remember.

So I checked Google.

"Chris Guiney CarterBaldwin."

His bio came right up and it was 1981 all over again.

Fourth Grade. Chris is top left. I'm in the second row, third from right
in the glasses and the silk shirt.

Of all the podcasts in all the towns in the world, he was going to be on mine.

We spoke for a few minutes before we recorded and caught up. Life is what it is. Kids and so on.

Then we recorded. The process itself was brief -- roughly a half-hour -- with a script constructed by Erik Boender. It's always the same. I try to make the guest be the best they can be and I can fix things in post-production as necessary.

Chris was sharp and smooth. If he wasn't an old friend of over 40 years I'd still recommend him to anyone in his industry. 

We dropped a few Mahopac references in but I think we both knew that it couldn't be overkill. The idea is always that it's important to still make the outsider feel welcome.

Maybe Mr. Salvestrini (4th grade) would be proud. Hopefully, Mrs. Colasacco (5th grade) was. I wouldn't doubt Dr. Levy (Mr. Levy to us -- 6th grade) would be pleased.

Chris was effusive in his kind words to me but I was simply beyond impressed with him as a guest, an executive, a dad, and a man.

I called it "special" as we wrapped up and I meant it. As we were both busy, we said a quick goodbye and carried on. I edited and delivered it to Hunt Scanlon for them to promote it.

It's now online and can be found here as well as on all of your favorite podcast providers.

I realize it's a niche program but I'm pretty proud of this podcast so I hope you'll give it a listen.

Just a couple of Mahopac boys doing OK.



No comments: