Wednesday, March 02, 2022

Random

 



I got home from calling a really good quarterfinal hockey game today at Brunswick when I decided to check out some other stuff while eating dinner.

It did not go well.

"How do I tell someone something is unacceptable?" I asked.

"You don't," came the reply.

I melted down to the point of a headache.

*****

As has been made abundantly clear, I put heart, soul, voice, and life into every broadcast. I drove home basically in a fog tonight as I was exhausted.

No, I was not a danger on the road. But I sort of drove on autopilot.

Sports broadcasting is -- first and foremost -- about reporting the events in front of the reporter. Pass the facts along.

Believe me, nothing troubles me more than going into something new, such as coming up this Friday when I'm in Atlantic City. But I'll do whatever homework I can ahead of time.

Make a mistake and it will gnaw at me. I mistakenly referred to Pelham as the "Panthers" when last Sunday's second broadcast opened. I had put that on the roster page while my scorecard correctly had "Pelicans" on it. But as soon as the word "Panthers" left my mouth, two things happened:

1) I knew it was wrong and I'd correct it immediately, and

2) I knew I was going to get a text.

Yup, and it ate at me all the way home.

I mispronounced a name last night during the Warde/Ridgefield game and it nearly ruined me for the evening but I was able to dust it off.

The point is I put my reputation on the line each time. I anticipated the heat in both cases.

Tomorrow night, I'll proudly call my 55th FCIAC championship game, as Ridgefield and Wilton meet for the basketball title. Of course, 55 is a fairly popular digit around here so that's the only reason I'm bringing it up.

Still, well, we've talked about these big games and what they mean to me. So I make sure to know how to say the conference name and try to learn all of the tidbits. I pride myself on it so that I don't drive home in a funk like I did on Sunday.

Professionalism is paramount in these games. Oh, I don't mean you can't have a laugh but I do mean viewers want the facts. They want someone who knows how to handle the moment.

I've learned people care about that winning call. It's a legacy thing and I'm so excited to be the soundtrack for so many people to savor. That really means a lot.

I don't know. I'm really just babbling.

Let's try again tomorrow.


(Photo: Shawn Sailer)

No comments: