Friday, March 25, 2022

Super Charger!

University of New Haven

I had a post written.

It was time to talk up the first baseball broadcast(s) of 2022 as Brunswick hosted Belmont Hill.

I was going to tell you about being nervous and having a bit of a crisis of confidence but how I was looking forward to getting back at it.

Then it all got canceled. The short version is because there's a 40% chance of rain.

This isn't a case of postponing either. The games are outright canceled.

Not only is it the loss of a chance to call games it's a loss of income.

So it's fair to say I'm a bit bummed right now. I sort of needed these games for a couple of reasons.

And then?

Well, there had been a Plan B but it felt like it was shot. The thing is I had also been asked to jump on a broadcast for the University of New Haven. I told them no but we said we'd stay in touch.

Early this evening, I emailed to say the Brunswick games were on and I'd be there. UNH thanked me for staying in touch.

I literally just got word at 10 p.m. that Brunswick was off. Moments later, I touched base with UNH to let them know what had happened.

"If you still want to come down, you’re more than welcome," came the reply.

Let's rock.

Oh, I'll be even more nervous now. I've never called a game there or for them but I'm excited to jump in. Sometimes, last-minute can be great.

We've been here. Many times. My peers would be flipping out. They want to create charts, graphs and discover who their distant relatives are. I'm going to call the games. It's a doubleheader. I have a computer. I see there are stats and bios. I'll make it work.

So, yeah, buckle up for a doubleheader between the University of New Haven Chargers against the Pace University Setters from just down the road in Westchester County (another team that I've talked to about broadcasting for).

First pitch is at noon.

I'm glad for the opportunity.

The games will be live online here.

I have a lot of work today to get ready!


No comments: