Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Fifty-three's Company

 


You might recall that I'm currently searching for an apartment.

UPDATE: I don't have one yet.

I'm looking basically anywhere from southern Dutchess County (not ideal) to Fairfield, CT (the town...and the county). I need a two-bedroom or a one-bedroom with a living room that can be converted for Sean. Price DOES matter.

But that's not why we're here tonight.

Friends have tried to offer suggestions and I'm certainly grateful but one yesterday brought a comical edge.

Should I say who offered yet?

Yeah...it was Tako.

God love Christopher Kaelin. Always well-meaning, he said he would reach out to his landlord about places around Stamford.

In Uncle Kato's inimitable style, he started by telling me that his landlord had a potential space.

But..."Here's the catch. You'd have 2 roommates."

I began to type a quick "no thanks" but he texted faster.

"2 ladies in their mid-20's."

I stood there, in the basement, cleaning. I looked at the phone. I pondered a response.

"Um. No."

I had to text it to Susan to get her response. Doubled over in laughter, she could only think of one thing:


It was obvious. How did I not think of that?

Jack and Janet and Chrissy!

The Ropers!

Mr. Furley!

Jack's friend Larry!

The other "non-Chrissy" characters after Suzanne Somers was fired from the show (Cindy and Terri)! 

For the uninitiated, "Three's Company" ran for 172 episodes on ABC from March 1977-Sep, 1984. Then it spun off for one more season as "Three's A Crowd" before departing. It also spawned a spinoff, "The Ropers." It was among the best of "jiggle TV" at its finest and funniest.

The concept was simple: bachelor moves in with two females who needed a roommate. However, the landlord, Mr. Roper won't allow a guy to live with two young women without any of them being married. That is until Janet tells Roper that Jack Tripper is gay.

No, really, it was funny, mostly in the hijinks of not getting caught since Jack was, of course, straight.

Frankly, even for a prepubescent me, it was hysterical, though I didn't get all of the jokes. 

Suddenly, I was living my dream of being John Ritter, one of the great comic actors (and did some really good drama* also) who is sadly missed, having died in 2003.

*Seriously, he was fantastic in "Sling Blade."

Upon casting our version of this comedy, Susan felt that Kato had to play Larry, though I wonder if Chris Erway would resent that. I digress.

Beyond that, the whole idea of a 53-year-old cohabitating with two 20-somethings was just too funny and seriously unrealistic.

I appreciate the suggestion.

And the laugh.

The pursuit of living quarters continues.

So you lived in that era, tell me the theme song isn't in your brain now.

Come and knock on our door.

We've been waiting for you.

Where the kisses are hers and hers and his, 

Three's company too!

No comments: