Sunday, March 06, 2022

Get The Flowers Blooming


 

Sometimes you simply have to tip your cap.

Winter sports ended at Brunswick today with a 4-2 victory for Kent in the Large School Championship game.

The Bruins played their hearts out but the Lions had a few more answers.

I called it and felt the usual weight of such a broadcast. To me, it's a responsibility. You have to take care of the fans for the team you're responsible for but you also have to take care of the team across the way.

To that end, I handed out compliments and called goals with zest. This is no different than how I've handled things my whole career. I want everyone to feel welcomed just as you're kind to welcome me via your radio, TV, phone, computer, etc.

I invest myself emotionally, not necessarily in the result but in process of making sure the broadcast is the best it can be for everyone. As you know, anytime I hear about bias it's disappointing to me. Of course, I can't please everyone no matter how hard I try.

At the end of the day, I have to look at myself in the mirror and make sure I'm OK with how I did.

I got a message from someone at Kent to thank me for the broadcast. That means so much. The same goes for the lovely card I got from defenseman John Burdett's mother. There were kind words and one nitpicky message also. So it goes.


That ends two weeks of 15 broadcasts -- seven basketball, seven hockey, and one wrestling. In some ways, I'm glad it's over since my voice held out and I feel good. On the other hand, I don't like losing momentum. There will very likely be two more basketball games this week but I need to confirm them. The plan is in place and I'll make it official when I can.

It's a shame so little of the broadcasts were for Greenwich High School but I guess time marches on.

Timing was also a big issue during this season. There could have been many more games but conflicts galore arose, including intending to call the CHSGHA girls ice hockey championship. I had it marked on the calendar for next Sunday since that's when it used to be, but it's scheduled for this Wednesday. Since it's Darien/New Canaan and Damian Andrew's DAF Media group will likely cover it, I don't think I'm needed so I'll most likely be in Mount Kisco with "The Clubhouse." I feel bad as that game is important to me.

After that possible doubleheader later this week, I'll likely get a few weeks off from games. The next scheduled broadcast is Saturday, March 26 when Brunswick baseball hosts Belmont Hill. I'm not going to lie. It's time to see just how crappy a baseball broadcaster I am.

Lacrosse will follow that.


To get me ready for baseball, I paid a visit to the field before I left the campus.

Thanks to all of the parents, families, fans, and of course players and coaches for a fun winter. Thanks, especially, for the kind words that fuel me, especially in the lowest moments. I don't root -- I can't -- but I do feel bad when the team I cover loses -- as if I'm some kind of curse. I've felt that all the way back to the state and FCIAC championship losses for Greenwich football. 

With me on the mic, Wick has lost a football bowl game (well, three actually, going back a few years), and FAA basketball championship, and now a hockey championship game.

Blech.


Hopefully, Kent has a nice memory they can savor of my call today.

Sorry, Brunswick.

Let's get to spring.

No comments: