Saturday, January 11, 2020

Nothing Fancy

My broadcast setup today
This will drive those in the play-by-play group that I belong to on Facebook crazy.

As you can see from the picture above, I worked today's basketball game from two team chairs several feet behind the scorers table from the game floor. Sometimes it's one chair. Sometimes it's a table.

And it works just fine.

I've had a table there in the past, and while that's nice -- it gives me more room -- there hasn't been a table for me so far this season.

I never want to be a problem for anyone, and the people at Brunswick are all great -- literally, everyone that I have worked with there has been first class -- so I make do.

This setup works just fine. The audio port that I use to send sound back to Local Live is nearby (on the wall in the right of that picture), and I have a pretty good view of the floor from where I stand. I can see the officials indications for the most part, and can walk to the scorers table if I need any interpretation or to glance at the scorebook for any issues.

The players will screen me sometimes, but I also get to linger in on team conversations and relay anything that I think is pertinent to the audience.

I respect anything private and use discretion.


I love it. Literally all of it.

So I laugh when I hear my brethren in the business growling about work conditions, poor views, crazy press boxes, and limited work space.

I'm content.

My scoresheet. I designed myself 20 years ago and have adjusted as needed
This is why I normally don't work with myriad colored pens and fancy spotting charts. My score sheet is just enough to give me what I need. I glance at the computer and two rosters I have propped up for more info.

I'll say this approach seems to work because Brunswick fans seem to be happy. More so, the Hopkins head coach approached me out of the blue before today's game.

"I just wanted to say hello and tell you do a great job," he said. "We watched the game last year after we played and really enjoyed everything you do."

Both sides are happy. Sometimes both are unhappy. That tells me I'm doing something right.

And I mean what I say: "Have headset. Will travel."

Otherwise, I'm free until Friday.

No comments: