Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Bell Let's Talk

It's January 29, 2020.

It's also Bell Let's Talk Day. It was held on Jan 30 last year, and I decided to open up and write something important. With that in mind, I'd like to run that again.

Please know there is nothing wrong with admitting you need help, whether it's depression or anything else. There are people who care, love you, and will talk to you. Please. Now, more than ever.

Love each other. Watch out for each other. Please. Before it's too late.

This is what I wrote just about a year ago today:

*****
Today is Bell Let's Talk Day.

Created by Bell Canada, the telecom company pledges to donate $.05 to what they call "mental health initiatives” for each social media interaction that uses #BellLetsTalk.

While the money goes to Canadian mental health initiatives, it helps keep an important conversation moving forward worldwide.

It needs to be said again: depression is real. Mental health is a real problem.

There is no shame in discussing it.

I'm not ashamed to say that I've battled dark moments.

There are many reasons for this.

Money. Loss of time with my son. Fearing that I've wasted my life. Worrying about my friends and family.

Not enough work. Lost work.

Lack of health insurance, thus worrying about my health.

When the clouds are dark, it all becomes magnified. Bad.

In those bad moments, I become the worst broadcaster ever. I become the worst father. I become a profound failure.

The loneliness creeps in. The despair becomes tangible.

This is reality. I need help.

You might need help also.

Seriously -- it's OK.

I'm here. I'll listen. I'll help however I can.

Let's talk.

No comments: