Friday, January 03, 2020

I'd Like To think That's How You Do It

Rob Adams, Sawyer Nicholas, Jeff Alterman (Shawn Sailer photo)
I called my first game of 2020.

I called my first basketball game in probably nine months.

I called it on TEN, still a nascent broadcasting outfit. TEN (Trumbull Eagles Network) combined with Robcasting and WON 920 The Apple to produce the broadcast and it aired on all three outlets.

Some of the moments were clunky, and they can be tightened up.

I met my lead analyst about five minutes before we went on the air.

And for what tonight was? I'd have to say it was a pretty solid effort in a raucous gym at Trumbull High School.

Moments like that make me proud. What could have been a disaster worked great because Sawyer Nicholas, Jeff Alterman, Paul Silverfarb, and I put together a professional-sounding broadcast.

Some yahoo in a Facebook group I belong to was rambling on about money and not "devaluing yourself and the rest of us."

Oh, pipe down. Everyone has their reasons for doing things. I try to build brands, my own reputation, and broadcasters who aren't an embarrassment. Sometimes that means taking the bullet at the cost of a night out. So there was no money out of this. No swag or food. I lost money.

But I had a ball and got to hang with a couple of friends.

Determine your own value.

This was my night.

This was broadcast number one of 2020.

There are five more next week.

No comments: