Tuesday, January 07, 2020

The Short Season


It's so fleeting.

In a span of, basically, seven weeks, I will call roughly ten Brunswick basketball home games.

Then it's over.

I did the first one today, as the Bruins hosted St. Luke's. The Bruins have played road games for almost a month, so today was their home opener.

As always, the name of the game is to do my best.

You take the hiccups, like the lack of a table, and just go with it. I grabbed a chair, put the mixer on it, put my computer underneath it, and got down to business.

When there were roster problems, I stepped to the scorers table and fixed them.

You just make it work.

Bruins head coach Steve Juricek met me like an old friend, and that relationship is so appreciated.

The relationships that are built -- be it coach Juricek or John Booth, who runs the scoreboard at basketball games, but is also the Upper School Academic Dean -- are priceless. That's the networking that I preach when I'm teaching.

But that's the thing. As I don't (normally) cover the Bruins on the road, my time with the team is so limited. It's hard to get to know a team that well in those circumstances, but more importantly, it highlights just how quickly the season rolls by.

Today's game got away from the Bruins quickly. They're young and missing a key playmaker. They'll have better days than today.

For what it's worth, they've got their broadcaster. At least I hope so.

I'm back at Brunswick for hockey tomorrow and Friday, and basketball on Thursday and Saturday.

That's my kind of week.

Here's the game from today.

No comments: