Sunday, January 12, 2020

Sunday Musings

This view of Times Square from an airplane didn't bother me
I don't mind heights. Really, I don't.

I've stood at the top of many buildings, mountains, bridges and other places with great views. I've enjoyed window seats on airplanes, such as last September.

I've strolled across Hoover Dam.

Beavis: Is this a God dam? (Sorry, I'm still 12 somewhere)

But, and I can't stress this enough, if I don't feel safe, then I do not like heights.

I can handle part of my roof, but I needed help cleaning the rest of the gutters, for instance.

And so, it didn't go well when I tried to saunter up a ladder to change a flood light on the corner of the house today.

With temperatures in the 60s, I looked up at the light and convinced myself to try. I went and got a trusty metal ladder and began climbing. I got a few rungs off the ground and stopped.

I came back down.

I can do this!

I tried again. The ladder shook as I got higher. It just didn't feel sturdy.

My body is getting queasy as I'm typing.

Nope.

I feel so...um...weak admitting this. Like I'm a failure. But, in this instance, I am.

Damn.

*****
It occurred to me as I was teaching on Thursday that the college football national championship hasn't been played yet.

It's tomorrow.

I realize we love college football in this country. I realize parts of the U.S. are just college football nuts.

The northeast is not. As such, excitement for the game has dwindled or been forgotten.

Let's be honest, it rarely gets brought up on "Doubleheader," and you don't hear a lot of college talk on the local sports stations. I'd talk about it if anyone cares but, at least based on what I see and hear, the interest really isn't there.

Oh, don't get me wrong. People will get fired up again tomorrow night, and I'll no doubt put it on TV (where there are roughly 15 different options for a broadcast*), but I can't tell you I'm galvanized by it.

*That's not an exaggeration.

Look, I'm not knocking college football at all. I like it, though I really don't have a team (and maybe that hurts me). But I think it doesn't help to have a regular season that ended a while ago, and a bunch of bowl games that are meh at best. Even the "big" bowl games have lost luster. January 1 has become more about hockey (for me) and only now -- Jan 13 -- will we resolve the national championship.

It doesn't work for me.

No comments: