Monday, March 11, 2019

The Occasionally-Needed Overplayed Music Post


Once in a while, I need to gripe about music that I simply get tired of hearing.

I realize some music is just what you grab when you don't know what else to play. I understand that. There's a reason I've (digitally) worn out Revolver or Sgt. Pepper or Sports.

Back in my (way too brief) DJ days, I would throw something like "American Pie" or "Hotel California" on from our small selection of music at Majic 105 (WMJV FM) when I needed a break (normally around 3:00 a.m.). That was a sign that I didn't know what else to play or wanted to walk away for a few minutes.

Keep in mind that's also when DJ's had a say in what was played. Generally speaking, those days are gone.

So it was that I heard "More Than a Feeling" by Boston today. Good God, can we get a decade off from it? Or virtually anything by Aerosmith? Maybe a break from Bob Seger?

I mean, that's just a small sample of what gets just drilled into my skull on what feels like a daily basis. That, of course, is an exaggeration.

I don't hear it daily. But it does feel like something has been drilled in my skull when I hear it.

I've long railed against John Mellencamp. We get it. Little ditty about two 'Merican kids done best as they can and so on.

They've grown up. Even THEY'RE sick of it. MOVE ON.

I realize this is purely subjective (as most music debates and conversations are) but there also some accepted items here. I'd like to believe these are a few examples, but I know I'm wrong.

Heck, I overall love Led Zeppelin, but I can go a long time before hearing "Stairway to Heaven" again.

While we're at it, let's get to Journey. Look, they're sweet, safe 70s/80s "rock" (pre-Bon Jovi category, of course). At least their version of music still gets played on rock stations (grumble...Huey Lewis...grumble). I'm all for "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)" if necessary, but we get it. Don't stop beleeeeeevin' ... .... hold onto that feel eeel eeel ing, or whatever.

And on. And on. And on.

I love The Sopranos. It's probably not debatable that it's a top 5 TV show ever. But I hate it for reintroducing that song. It went from being nicely in the background/borderline overplayed to we are going to hear it everywhere forever.

Forever.

Forever.

I realize these occasional gripe sessions will not change things.

I also realize, as I said, that this is all subjective, and YMMV (your mileage may vary).

But please. I beg. For my sake. For the sake of my ears. For the sake of even my blood pressure (yes, this is a problem, and I understand that). Break it up. Find some other things to play, be you Pandora, Spotify, or your local radio station.

Dig deep. Find something that never gets played a lot. Go look in the program logs and grab something you haven't heard in a long time.

Be bold!

Please let us see your Marianne walkin' away.

*****
By the way, I linked to the Wikipedia page for Majic 105 above. Check a screenshot from below (I might have added my name to its rightful place).

No comments: