Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Building the Podcast

EDDIE! EDDIE! EDDIE!
I've shamelessly mentioned that I've started a podcast a few times here.

Where better to promote than my own piece of real estate (and social media)?

But what I haven't talked a lot about is finding what I'm going to talk about on the show.

There's plenty of baseball audio to be found, and I can certainly play old interviews, as well as put some new interviews together. Paul Silverfarb, Mike Hirn, and Mick McGowan have each said they'd join me, and I think there are plenty of others who have stories that will interest listeners.

But the true heart of the show is the sound files (or video that we extract the sound from). As I said, baseball is pretty easy to find.

It's the other sports that will take digging. Lots of digging.

I found a tantalizing piece of audio from 1931. Just listen.


Sadly those few seconds are all that exists from that Thursday night on WMCA/WNYC. The Rangers won 5-4 in overtime.

Keep in mind, one of the big things I'll be dealing with is copyright concerns, so it's possible that not any old audio can be used. The baseball audio, pre-1973, is in the public domain, so there's some safety there. I'm still learning about other sports.

I'm not doing this for money. If it blooms into something, then we'll address that.

For now, it's a passion project. So hopefully my playing audio isn't going to hurt anyone.

Anyway, back to acquiring things that I want to talk about. My plan is to not make this be just a baseball podcast (though it will likely dominate for a few reasons). So if you know of anything or even have anything that you'd be happy to contribute to the show, please let me know.

Sports audio is the first priority, but historical audio of any kind is very important to me, as you'll probably find out.

I found this tonight as I wading through the interwebs. Admittedly the video quality isn't good, but it's the night of Nov 2, 1975, when Eddie Giacomin returned to Madison Square Garden after being put on waivers and claimed by the Detroit Red Wings. Jim Gordon and Bill "The Big Whistle" Chadwick had the call on MSG-TV of this emotional New York sports moment.

No comments: