Friday, March 15, 2019

An Unwelcome Break


I called the FCIAC boys and girls freshman all-star games tonight.

Chris Kaelin asked me to do it last year, and we had a good time, so I thought I'd do it again. Where last year was sort of like a talk show, tonight was closer to being true play-by-play.

Rosters, with numbers, help.

But, to me, of course, it's all play-by-play. There are just different degrees of it.

And with those games over, I don't know when my next broadcast will be.

Obviously, as I live game to game, this is not a good feeling.

Baseball and lacrosse begin soon, so I'm hopeful my phone will buzz to get right back on the air.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'll have plenty to keep me busy. There's personal stuff I can catch up on. I can do my taxes. I can focus a bit more on Doubleheader.

It's a good time to catch up.

Plus there's more time to job search. So yeah. All that stuff.

Still, I'll bring the equipment in from the car and wait.

Brunswick? Greenwich? FCIAC? New York? Somewhere else?

The one place I know that wants me is Mahopac for baseball.

So...who else?

I'm excited to get going again.

*****
Oh, one more thing before I close. John Nash (#Project365, ahem, #Project364 co-conspirator) wrote a scathing commentary about the TV coverage of last night's awful events in Christchurch, New Zealand. First, I'm sickened by what happened, as we should all be. But I was just as annoyed as John was at the absolutely awful work by CNN, MSNBC, and FOX News. Spare me the "there's no such thing as liberal media" garbage. There is, just as FOX News is in the tank for the President and the GOP.

But there was a time (not all that long ago) where such news would have sent the major networks (and, eventually, the cable news channels) into wall-to-wall coverage. Instead, it was agenda-driven nonsense featuring anything but actual reporting about Christchurch.

It was disgusting. John put it a little more eloquently than I did.

I moved over to Twitter and actually found live coverage there before going to bed.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled basketball broadcast archive.

No comments: