Friday, March 01, 2019

Out of My Control

White Noise
I have some great friends in my life. I know I've said that before.

I'm grateful. Truly. I have love, and I know that. Even in the darkest moments.

That's not what this is about.

Wednesday was a particularly frustrating day, and part of it (speaking honestly) was about the nonsense going on in Washington and around our great nation.

Part of it was (obviously) personal, dealing with nonsense around my own world (centered, in this case, on Greenwich).

A day later, a friend (who shall stay unnamed unless I'm told otherwise) texted me with the hope that Thursday would be better (it was). I also received a quote from my friend that said: "Look at the circle of people that you communicate with and those that communicate with you. Eliminate the ones that provide white noise with no purpose, and only focus on those that bring constructive elements. It makes one's life much easier and manageable."

It's wonderful advice, and it would be marvelous to truly be able to live by that.

But the white noise struck again today.

So that's where I am: trying to resolve to get past things that I can't control.

You see, I'm not a control freak, and I don't mean to come off as such. But I'm also not good at dealing with things that I want to deal with but can't.

Like white noise.

And voices.

And other things that do concern me but don't concern me.

I realize that this is somewhat difficult to understand without specifics, and I try to give what I can but also not cross the line.

I spoke very openly today on Doubleheader. At least, I did up to a point.

Yet I'm embarrassed about it.

The fact is that I've brought passion and hard work to every game broadcast. I've worked tirelessly for each place.

I've given WGCH and Greenwich a lot in nearly 22 years.

Like a pitcher, I want the ball in the big game.

Every game.

If that's not wanted or appreciated, then so it goes.

It's out of my control.

This is my livelihood at stake. Not a fun hobby.

Sadly, the white noise sometimes wins, whether we like it or not.

Oh, another wise man once said: "I don't care too much for money. Money can't buy me love." (Paul McCartney, of course)

No comments: