Thursday, April 07, 2011

Top 10 Sports Broadcast Calls of All Time

RealClearSports put together a list on Yahoo! for the top-10 calls.  It's a pretty basic list with a lot of the usual suspects.  I'll give them points for not including Gus Johnson, which is surprising because several of these calls are over-the-top drool fests (Russ Hodges, Joe Starkey, Johnny Most, etc).

It will come as no surprise what I think number one should be.  Eight minutes and forty-three seconds of utter perfection, on the field and on the radio.


As for the rest, I don't love Michaels' "miracle" but I get it's place in history, and I would leave it in the top-10.  Most of the rest of the top-10 does little for me (I've never been a fan of Hodges' "Giants win the pennant!") but again, I get it.  The Jack Buck call of Gibson's home run isn't quite as good as his "Go crazy, folks" call in the 1985 NLCS.  Of course, Vin Scully had the TV call of both Gibson and Ozzie Smith's home runs.

Again, as lists go, it's not bad.

No comments: