Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Disappointing

There are certain days that just frustrate me in the radio/broadcast biz.

Today is one of those...and so was yesterday.

First, I found out yesterday that, due to conflicts with other programming, WGCH would not be carrying any of the action from the FCIAC boys hockey tournament. If the Cardinals make it to the finals, it will be the first time (to my knowledge) that WGCH won't be there to cover it.

Yet, trying to put a positive spin on things, I believed that the good news was that I would now be available to follow the Mount Saint Mary College womens' team through the first weekend of the NCAA Division III tournament. Earlier today, I assembled the pieces in place with station management, and the college was on board as well. Christine Baker was ready to join me in Ithaca for at least one, and hopefully two games.

Then I received the bad news: Ithaca College (the host site) had apparently dropped the ball. The college had not only the basketball tournament but a big track and field championship as well. There were no hotel rooms available. The basketball teams are scrambling for a place to stay, and there was no room at the inn for the broadcasters. Literally.

So I went from the hope of calling a couple of games to none. Stuff happens, and I've already made my frustration known.

OK, I'll put the positive spin back on it. I can spend the weekend with Sean, and I have a lot of things to do anyway. I can go to his school for a class party. Yeah, it's all good, I guess.

But it's still disappointing. It will take the Blue Knights advancing to the Sweet Sixteen for Christine and I to rejoin them.

Perhaps we'll recap the experience of calling Knights basketball at another time. For now, best of luck to them Friday night against Williams College. Also, best of luck to the Cardinals as they play Ridgefield tonight in the FCIAC hockey semis.

And sorry to the listeners.

No comments: