Friday, August 03, 2007

Roadgeeks Everywhere Mourn

Don't let the title fool you. I know that EVERYBODY is mourning what happened in Minnesota. For those of us who consider ourselves "roadgeeks", I think we feel a certain affinity for what happened. Any news of this magnitude makes my head snap to attention, but the fact that a highway/bridge was involved made it hit a little closer for me, though I've never been anywhere near Minnesota.

The Star-Tribune is the local newspaper there, so I would guess that there is the best place to go for more information.

Oh, and for those who have gotten it wrong: It is Interstate 35W, NOT Interstate 35. They are two different roads.

My thoughts? I heard someone say today that we are spending $250,000 per minute on the war in Iraq. Call me crazy, but wouldn't that money be better spent on our own infrastructure? The very same infrastructure that can help keep us safe?

There will of course be a call to panic, and some of that panic is necessary, as folks wonder about local bridges like the Tappan Zee Bridge, which I just drove over today. It's already been said that the Tap has long surpassed its life expectancy.

This especially hit home for me because The Son (Little Roadgeek) and I just watched a National Geographic Channel show about the bridges in New York City. The most poignant part, in relation to this tragedy, was the review of the collapse of "Galloping Gertie", the Tacoma Narrows Bridge that fell in 1940. This is some color footage of the old bridge that stood for just four months, how it swayed, and its collapse.
Incidentally, only one individual was killed in that collapse - a dog that refused to get out of the car that was left on the bridge.

Now, readers here know that I am a media junkie, and can watch most any video, but am sensitive to the feelings of those who would be offended by such things - like the September 11th video and audio, or the hanging of Saddam, and so on. With that said, the video of the bridge collapse does exist at YouTube. Go see it for yourself. I don't know why, but something is telling me to not post the video here. There will be a point when you might call me a hypocrite for posting some other ghoulish item, and that's fine.

On other fronts, I owe you a review of The Police show. I'm a little wiped out tonight, so I'm going to give you Jim Farber's quick review in the Daily News, along with Eric Danton's in the Hartford Courant of the show a night earlier at The Rent in East Hartford. Oh, and a set list? OK:

Message in a Bottle
Synchronicity II
Walking On The Moon
Voices Inside My Head
When The World Is Running Down
Don't Stand So Close To Me
Driven To Tears
Truth Hits Everybody
Bed's Too Big Without You
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic
Wrapped Around Your Finger
De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun
Walking In Your Footsteps
Can't Stand Losing You
Roxanne

ENCORE 1:
King Of Pain
So Lonely
Every Breath You Take

ENCORE 2:
Next To You

NOTE - the East Hartford and Madison Square Garden set lists were EXACTLY the same!

It amazes me that good seats are still available for other shows. The show rocked. Then again, the prices are outrageous, so maybe that's why. Whatever, I owe you more details, and will when time allows. Let me just say this - I needed a great night and, for the most part, I got it. It wasn't perfect, but then again, what is?

I also want to give you a full roadtrip report as we got out of the house today and went to Easton, PA for a little Crayola magic.

All in due time, I guess. It's storming pretty badly here right now, so I'm off for the night. Stay safe on the roads...please!?

No comments: