Tuesday, February 13, 2024

World Radio Day

 



It was March 1997 when a guy working for a retail publication in Rockland County, NY strolled into WGCH Radio.

At that point, it felt like a last chance. The first job in radio had ended years earlier in the usual ugly politics that the business is known for. Egos, paranoia, etc. 

A few years went by before coming back into the business but that station quickly went out of business.

But the love of radio didn't go away. The invitation came to fill in as a board-op at the tiny station in Greenwich, CT.

It was a part-time gig and that was OK. 

Nearly 27 years later, I'm still there, and heading towards 35 years in broadcasting.

I've worked in more than just radio. I've done streaming video, audio, TV, and terrestrial radio. Plus I've been a writer for numerous publications. 

But, yeah, radio was the initial goal for me.

Today is World Radio Day and I'm still fascinated by the business. The day honors the founding of United Nations Radio in 1946. 

Oh, every day I hear about radio either being dead or dying. But if the power goes out, you might actually reach for a radio for information. We're pretty important in moments of crisis.

We're important for information.

Much in the same way I hear that baseball is dying, I just keep going.

The key to radio is to be local. It's why I like turning the dial when I travel. But so much of it is either music with voice-tracked DJs or programming originating somewhere else. 

I want local flavor and charm.

I want to hear local sporting events and news and charming shows and whatever makes that station flow.

I still love those times when it's late at night and I can turn the AM dial to hear far-off places. Though that can be done via the internet there's still something thrilling about the DX hobby. 

It's still a thrill to step up to the microphone and go on the air. It's great to visit the studio -- WGCH's or anywhere else. 

It's still a great responsibility to be that "voice of reason," reporting on hurricanes, breaking news, giving opinions on sports, playing music, and of course, doing play-by-play.

But, in reality, I've done so much more than that. I've hosted the Greenwich Town Party and produced commercials and engineered broadcasts without getting on the air. I've created program logs and managed a staff.

I've done a lot. No more than anyone else but I'm proud of the staying power to still be in this business after all these years.

And, just as importantly, to still have so many friends who are still in the business is important. I tell students that they need a network and I still have a great one.

Yes, I've ticked a few people off over the years as well and it does bother me but that's bound to happen.

But I love radio and am proud to still be doing it. I'm also proud to be a part of the lineage that began with Marconi, Fessenden, de Forest, and Armstrong. 

Eventually, McNamee, Benny, Allen, Barber, Imus, Ingram, and countless others ruled the microphone.

In some small way, I've been one of those people.

I'm proud of that.

Happy World Radio Day to all of us.

No comments: