Monday, February 05, 2024

The Calendar

 


I always think one of my selling points as a person and as an employee is my reliability.

Sure, I think I'm organized and prepared (bite me*) and have other delightful qualities, but I generally felt I was reliable. I thought it made me appealing to employers and friends in that, if I say I'm going to be there, the odds are excellent that I will be.

Yes, there are exceptions, such as car problems, health, and other mitigating circumstances.

* You've no doubt noticed that I mention preparation a lot. There's a reason. It's a sore subject with me.

Likes Sean, who never missed school, I was always counted on to be at work, school, etc. I didn't often get sick enough that I would stay home. In fact, I'd generally have to be yelled at to give my body a break in such situations.

I had chicken pox when I was 21 and I was working full-time by then. I thought I was healed and tried to go back to the office. Nope. I got sent home.

The same goes for sports. How many games or practices did I miss? The answer is not many. Game broadcasts? Same. I have to lose my voice or something else.

So when I put something on my calendar, it's basically gospel.

Do I forget things? Sure. I make mistakes. I make them on a daily basis.

So I was working with a group that gave me some dates. OK, cool. The dates, dutifully, went on my calendar in Google.

My calendar has evolved over the years to now being digital. It's all synced up with my phone, iPad, and computer. I used to carry a detailed organizer -- very 90s/2000s, I must say -- that I relied on. I had it all color-coded in various highlighters.

I'm content to have one less thing to carry.

In the case of the group in question, I was booked for an event only to show up and find it was double-booked. In short, I was the odd man out and quietly slid out the door with my dignity intact.

Last week, I was scheduled to be back with them. Figuring the best call was to confirm, I texted my contact.

At first, all was well. Yes, see you tomorrow!

Then...

Wait. Not tomorrow!

OK, I said. I have two more on my calendar -- next Wednesday and Thursday. 

He said he'd get back to me.

Sunday morning, just before the CD players failed on me at WGCH, I received word that I wasn't needed this week.

Thus, the events on my calendar were removed.

It's lost work and opens up the days. I'll try to find the good in it.

And I try to be understanding of such circumstances, but I admit my usual obsession with commitment is a bit put off.

It will pass. It happens.

But something about it all doesn't pass the smell test for me.

I'll be back on the air for game broadcasts on Wednesday, two on Friday, and another game on Friday.

Plus -- yes, wait, there's more! -- I got a look at a baseball schedule today. I'm still waiting patiently for Brunswick's, but spring is getting closer.

It will all go on my calendar.

No comments: