Saturday, February 10, 2024

A Game and Then Some

 

(Hudson Valley Vipers)

I'm taking a break from prepping for tonight's hockey broadcast(s).

Two. Sort of.

This will be an interesting one tonight, as the Norfolk Mallards come to Poughkeepsie to play the Hudson Valley Vipers. 

These are the same teams that I saw two weeks ago. On the ice that night, the Mallards took the win but it's listed in the standings as a tie.

Um. Huh. OK.

Well, anyway, the teams met again last weekend in Massachusetts. With the Mallards leading 6-3 in the third period, an issue occurred with the condition of the ice. So the game was suspended and will be picked up tonight in Poughkeepsie.

Thus, I'll handle the call of the third period before the regularly scheduled game follows after that.

It's semi-pro, minor league hockey and it's a world where anything can and will happen.

I'll find out if there are roster changes and any other storylines when I get up there. 

The important thing is to not panic. All I can do is prepare and then get ready for the unexpected. It's just how it all plays out.

But I've enjoyed the two previous games enough to come back and do it again.

(Norfolk Mallards on Instagram)

At this moment, I'm sort of the play-by-play announcer but we haven't made any kind of commitment to this being a thing just yet. As I've said all along, it's still a work in progress.

So I'll produce what I hope is a good broadcast on Robcasting for, in reality, two games.

It will be an 8 p.m. start before I try to grab a few hours of sleep.

I'm on the call for the Section One wrestling championships tomorrow in White Plains.

Then it's back home for a low-key Swiftie Bowl party.

It will be a long few days but it's what I've signed up for.

No comments: