Thursday, February 08, 2024

Girls Rule (So Does Pizza Across the Street)

 


Today began simply enough.

I was preparing to call tonight's Section One Girls Ice Hockey Championship when I glanced across the street.

A pair of neon signs appeared illuminated.

Nah. Couldn't be.

It was.

Bruce Park Grill, the venerable pizza place and (respectfully) dive bar had reopened.

It was famous for its chill vibe, aforementioned pizza and otherwise limited menu, and shuffleboard table.

Sean and I had often talked about what it would be like to have such a place that close to us.

Now it was time to find out. The neon signs indicated they were in business but, more so, the giant "OPEN" sign gave the status away.

The owner laughed and told us that the paint was still wet. He had only received the OK to open the doors roughly an hour before we walked in.

Things were quiet and we took a seat. It wouldn't stay quiet for long.

The Grill is a legend around these parts and yet, somehow, I had never been there until today. As a pizza connoisseur, I was told it was fantastic. But COVID closed it and a famous joke began around town that it would reopen "in two weeks."

Two weeks turned into four years.

I'd driven by many times, almost unaware of it until I figured out what it was.

And now it was my turn to find out.

It lived up to the hype. A chewy, slightly charred pizza adorned the plate in front of me.


Beyond the pizza was the very atmosphere I had heard about. Once the owner figured out who I was, he said he recognized my voice and, while not a big sports fan, spoke of having a "celebrity" on the first day.

I'm not a celebrity, but I really appreciated that.

But the vibe was spot on. Comfortable, friendly, and jovial. People bounded in joyfully as we ate and a slice (yes, I went there) of Greenwich was on full display. It's one that doesn't jive with the usual reputation that Greenwich gets.

Food, drinks, laughs. Affordable.

Sean and I bounded back home happy and full.

We'll be back.

Oh, and parking now stinks on our street. So it goes.

*****



I have an affection for girls sports because it's often so undercovered that I'm always thrilled to fly in the face of that.

I've called several girls championship events in part because I want them to have coverage. This doesn't make me special. It just means I love covering sports.

And so it was that I called tonight's championship game between the Rockland Rockies and North Avalanche.

There aren't many girls hockey teams in Section One -- three, in fact -- but that's of no matter to me. I'm going to call it with the full passion and respect they deserve.

The fans, athletes, and coaches respond to the coverage. They're grateful and it's certainly not taken for granted. The games matter.

With that, the broadcast matters but, then again, it always does.

Photo: Avalanche Girls Varsity Ice Hockey on X (Twitter)

The Avalanche won 5-0. They move on to play next week in the pursuit of a state championship.

But hockey wins. Girls hockey wins. Girls sports win. Because they're all there and they all matter.

Stuffed in the broadcast platform of the Brewster Ice Arena, I was charmed watching all of it.

On the ice after the game, I ran into Avalanche head coach Stacey Wierl. I not only congratulated her but thanked her for the notes and items she sent me to help in preparation for the game.

Her response was that it would only help to grow the game even more. A day after National Girls and Women in Sports Day I couldn't disagree.

You go, girls.

*****

Oh, and Dumb Dumb (that's me) was able to successfully change a great turn signal on the car.

There was actually minimal damage when all was said and done.

And it actually worked (thus: successful).

A blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.

The exercise also gave me a reason to clean and organize my trunk. I'm not sure that was a successful venture but it was one I still needed to do.

I've got hockey and basketball tomorrow at Brunswick. Hockey Saturday with the Vipers in Poughkeepsie. "Meet the Beatles" on Sunday followed by wrestling at the Westchester County Center.

Then some football game with a blonde singer. Maybe.

That's literally all I've got. 

No comments: