Wednesday, February 07, 2024

Game On!

 


The day just started sort of wrong.

Yes, The Cat caused his usual mayhem, including knocking my phone off the nightstand.

Now I was just being stubborn and, in truth, my alarm was going to start beeping soon.

I got up and fed him.

But I was on point. I put myself together and was sitting at my computer, ready for the first job to start at 9 a.m.

And then I discovered it was starting at 10. Oops.

So that all but sealed that I wouldn't be going to UConn for hockey. I mean, there was no way, right?

Funny thing about such assumptions.

I told myself that if the job wasn't over by 1 p.m. there was no realistic way I'd get there in time.

We were done by 11:30. I completed my requirements and headed towards the door.

But first. Wait. Where's my wallet? 

Don't panic, I said. Relax. I checked the clothes I wore yesterday. Nope. I walked around and looked everywhere. Nope.

I felt at least a bead of sweat.

I decided I would walk out to my car. And there, dear reader, dear friend, was my wallet. On the driver's seat.

Phew.


I steadied myself and drove away.

At the end of my block, I turned my signal on to make a right turn. It didn't sound right. It wasn't the usual "tick tick tick tick." It was more like "ticktickticktick."

Hmmm.

But I carried on. Up 95 to 25/8 to 15 to 91. I thought and mentally prepared the whole way.

Except I missed the exit from 8 to 15. Yikes. I immediately turned around at the next exit, reminding myself I did have enough time and still needed something to eat.

That happened in Hartford, where the man behind the counter at Wendy's spoke exceptionally in two languages. I was unfazed -- even charmed -- by him calling everyone "mama" and "pappy." Including me.

Food consumed, I confirmed that I had a burned-out rear turn signal. OK, I'll make the best of it, and carried on on 91 to 15 to 84, 384, and 44 before side roads led me to the still-new Toscano Family Ice Forum at UConn in Storrs.

Like the Martire Family Arena at Sacred Heart, it's a new hockey palace that opened in 2023.

I set up, relaxed, double-checked things, and went on the air just before 3:30.

I made it.


But not all situations are fairy tales. Cushing Academy, Brunswick's opponent, jumped out to leads of 2-0 and 3-1 before the Bruins answered with two power-play goals. The Bruins had a few chances late before the game went to overtime.

Ultimately, the Bruins found themselves a man down on the penalty kill, and Cushing got the game-winner late in OT. A great experience and a very good game ended at 4-3.

I ran into a few families near the entrance to the rink and they were pragmatic. Get 'em next time.

I opted for a quick drive around Storrs before heading to 84. My first stop was an auto part store.

It would be easy! I'd grab bulbs and fix it in the parking lot.

Narrator: It wasn't easy.

There's a panel that needs to be removed to get near the housing for the signal. The night was droning on in the parking lot of the AutoZone in Vernon, CT and I knew this would be best to do at another time.


Driving safely to make sure I tried to indicate my lane changes, I basically repeated my route, cruising towards Hamden on 15 before it...came...to...a...stop.

Construction near the Heroes Tunnel.

I got out of that, marched into Bridgeport, onto 95, and had a game plan.

We needed milk, so I could run into a grocery store. Also, I discovered that I had left my MacBook adaptor and cable at WGCH following "Meet the Beatles" on Sunday, so I would run in and grab that before I went home.

Yes! I love it when a plan comes together! And I made my way through Westport when traffic...came...to...a...stop.

No, seriously. Dead stopped between exits 17 and 16.

Then it picked back up and I was on fire and then it...all...stopped...again.

This time, it was Stamford and, again, just completely stopped.

Finally, I got out of that and went on with running into an Acme next to WGCH's old location (the old Food Emporium) and grabbed milk. Then it was across Greenwich Avenue to WGCH's current location.

UConn basketball was airing on the station when I walked in which reminded me that I had driven by Gampel Pavillion after leaving the hockey rink. It looked like a game was coming up.

It was. And women's head coach Geno Auriemma recorded his 1,200th win. He's the third coach to do it -- men's and women's -- and the fastest.

I didn't have tickets, but I could see in the doors.

This day really did have a little bit of everything.

Tomorrow has girls hockey.

I'll broadcast a championship.

But first I'm going to sleep.

Oh, and I'll try to change the turn signal in the morning.

I see videos on YouTube saying it's easy.

I hope so.

No comments: