Friday, February 02, 2024

The Ugly Duckling


 

I was chatting today with someone who was connected to sports in Greenwich.

I'm not sure he was aware of any of my work but he was interested when he heard that I was a sports broadcaster.

So we chatted about Greenwich hockey broadcasts and other things as he assessed me.

"You definitely have the voice for it," he said.

Then he studied me.

"And you're handsome enough."

"Handsome enough," am I right?

Um. OK. Thanks?

So I felt I had that going for me. Maybe. I'll take the, er, compliment.

Regardless, he was interested in what I do and I appreciated that.

What I do took me over to Brunswick today with a small dilemma. I need to do right by both teams that I cover and, based on my spreadsheet I have covered more hockey games so far this season. 

I felt it was time to choose basketball today since both teams had a 5 p.m. start.

I'd say I probably made the right call though I always feel a hint of guilt. The hockey teams are truly wonderful to me, with so many of them commenting on my work. The basketball families don't seem to talk to me as much, having to do with my calling the games from across the gym from them.

Sill, right is right and unless I was told otherwise, I went with basketball.

Brunswick started off with a 10-0 lead but King School from Stamford got it to 10-9. The Bruins had a 27-25 lead at halftime.

The lead bounced around a bit in the second half with each team having an edge. The energy in the Dann Gym grew as a loud student section came in, and that raised the temperature a bit.

They were talking smack and everyone seemed to be having fun.

Brunswick was down eight before going on an 11-0 run to go up three.

Wick went up three when the Vikings cut it to one. Brunswick was trying to run the clock down but an official called a violation that gave the ball back to the Vikings.

The inbound pass was knocked out of bounds and so it was reset.

Funny thing about buzzer beaters. Obviously, they're great when it's for the team that you cover as a broadcaster. The fans love you and want to hear it and save it and share it.

When you have involvement with either team it's easy to just call it with no vested interest.

When it's for the team you cover and you're at the opposing site, it can be dicey. Not everyone is a good loser.

When it's against the team you cover, regardless of where it is, it can be dicey.

I know I'm probably jumping the gun with the story but Nasir Pettigrew got a pass and sprinted down the lane to the basket, hitting a layup with no time remaining.

In my mind -- always -- I call the moment with the energy it deserves. Brunswick lost 64-63 but I don't think I'm doing my job if I downplay what just happened. 

The play and the athletes associated with the play deserve excitement, energy, and respect for what they've done.

I tried. I don't know if I succeeded but it sounded like this.

The Vikings rushed the floor and even posed for team pictures after the game. I noticed it and I noticed Brunswick people noticing it.

To the victors always goes the spoils but a moment like that doesn't get forgotten by a coach or a player.

The Bruins will be back next week.

For me, it's onto tomorrow as I call two games in the Public vs. Catholic Showdown at Westchester County Center. I've been going to the County Center since I was a kid for a variety of things, including corporate events when I worked at Kraft and baseball card shows where I met both Mickey Mantle and Bobby Murcer.

It's a pretty cool place and, finally, I get to call a game from there.

Two, in fact.

So, handsome or otherwise, I'll still be employed.

No comments: