Sunday, February 25, 2024

I've Said Enough. Really.

 

Byram Hills celebrates after winning today

Can I get a break tonight?

I've spoken enough words over four games since 3 p.m. yesterday. 

That was all basketball. Today was all hockey.

It's no worse than what anyone else does. It's taxing in its own way.

In either sport, you have to find different ways to talk about repetitive things. Not everything is a pass. It's shuffled, thrown, lobbed, lifted, tossed, popped, and whatever else my brain can grab.

And it's finding the right words, especially in high-leverage moments. These sometimes wind up on highlight reels and social media accounts.

So, for instance, in a slight state of shock at the end of today's Byram Hills-Pelham game, I said: "Byram Hills is going to win this thing!"

I have no idea where that came from and I hope people like it. I wish I knew where my brain went in that spot because it's not something I normally say.

It was a 4-3 win for the Bobcats in an upset of the Pelicans.

I was more conventional in Suffern's 4-0 win over Clarkstown.

"The Suffern Mounties with four. Down to two. They will celebrate. They've won Section One!"

Not exactly poetry or "my NHL voice" but it relays the message of a strong performance by the Mounties. It was 4-0 and never felt that close. They were just that good.

Also, let's not keep score because that's apparently all that happens. You say you've called four games this weekend and, inevitably, someone will feel the need to do in that they did five or whatever. It's nuts.

So I'm tapped out of big ideas and words tonight. In fact, I've come home to an empty apartment as Sean is at his mother's where he celebrated his birthday.

I've got The Cat, who has earned a new nickname: "Five."

As in, he'll try to wake me up at 5 a.m. 

But, let's face it, it could also be "Four."

I've been wearing my Air Pods again and listening to white noise to drown nonsense out as I try to sleep.

I wish those words weren't true. SiriusXM actually has a channel for that. 

Oh, and I neglected to mention another episode of "Meet the Beatles" came and went today.

Today was George Harrison's birthday, so I played a cross-section of music to represent him as performed by him and others. 

The show continues to find itself and while I know two hours would give me more room, I'm staying with an hour show for a few reasons, including hopefully leaving the audience wanting more every week.

I didn't get to watch or see it today, but the Yankees played baseball and it was broadcast. 

I like that.

Enough words have been written here for tonight. I'll do "Doubleheader" tomorrow and gear up for more games. Barring any changes, I'll call the semifinals in the FCIAC boys basketball tournament on Tuesday and will have the honor of doing play-by-play for the championship for the ninth time on Thursday. I think I've only called the football championship more times (11). 

That pleases me a lot.

Brunswick hockey has a big week coming up. They play Salisbury in the NEPSAC Elite 8 tournament beginning Wednesday. If they win that, they'll have a semifinal game before playing in the championship next Sunday. That game is at Harvard.

So, yeah. That might happen.

Oh, and Brien McMahon and Stamford are playing baseball in Cooperstown next month at Doubleday Field. I'm planning on taking Robcasting (and Sean) up for that but would be very interested in talking to anyone who would like to make it an audio/video effort.

And anyone interested in sponsoring/underwriting/getting us a hotel room.

Inquire within.

No comments: