Monday, February 26, 2024

Deserving



This is version two of tonight's post.

My original version was likely too outspoken. Too blunt.

So I'm toning it down.

I've connected with a friend to call tomorrow's FCIAC boys basketball semifinals and the championship game on Thursday night. The games will air on YouTube and Robcasting.

My overall point of the post -- regardless of version -- is that championships and semifinals should be covered.

This is roughly where the post went off the rails so we'll avoid that.

I'm looking forward to heading over to the Snakey Dome in Wilton* and taking in the atmosphere as four teams vie for the title.

*No, of course, it's not called the Snakey Dome but maybe it should be.

The first game -- Trumbull against defending champion Danbury -- can be watched here at 5:30 p.m.

The nightcap -- Ridgefield vs. Staples -- will be available here at 7:15 p.m.

You can also listen to my call on Robcasting.

I'm always so proud to have my voice associated with these moments and I look forward to sitting courtside with my fellow media members.

Media coverage has changed since I arrived at WGCH in 1997. More local radio stations were interested in covering games as well as numerous newspapers.

Obviously, that's all gone away. WLAD in Danbury, WREF in Ridgefield, WSTC in Stamford, as well as WGCH were all in on broadcasting high school games at one point, along with the student broadcasters at WWPT in Westport.

Now, it's just WWPT and WGCH.

There are a few others around the state.

In recent years, schools have created student broadcasting outlets. They, however, can also be a victim of either budgets or interest.

Either way, these games deserve coverage. 

All of them.

I guess -- and again, this is where I risk going too far -- is when talking about who should be calling them. Obviously, I want to be involved in that process.

But we'll start with tomorrow.

Two games.

No comments: