Saturday, February 24, 2024

A Moment of Self-Reflection

 

As the lineups were introduced at Brunswick

Let me get this out of the way: Brunswick lost today.

Greenwich Country Day came to the Dann Gymnasium and took a large lead in the FAA Championship. A Bruins rally was too late and the Tigers stormed the floor to celebrate.

But let me go back to the beginning of the game.

The gym was full. I mean, it was packed. In fact, when I walked into the building, I needed the OK to go into the gym to set up. Security was keeping an eye on who stood on the side of the gym where I work.

I stand behind the scorer's table between the benches.

I finished my setup and walked out of the gym to sit in the lobby and eat my lunch.

Fans weren't allowed in the gym yet and a line was forming.

By the time the starting lineups were introduced, it was hard to hear anything.

But, prior to that, the National Anthem was played via saxophone.

And that's when it hit me.

Going back to the Colin Kaepernick brouhaha of several years ago, I spoke about what that moment -- when The Star-Spangled Banner sounds out at an event -- means to me.

I've felt this way for many years, in fact, going back to my youth. It grew as I got older.

It's a moment for me to pause and reflect, catching my breath before calling the game or even watching a game.

It's especially a time to honor my parents, both of whom taught me respect for that moment.

To that end, honoring my father, I don't resume until the last note is complete.

It's not some great jingoistic moment. 

To be honest, today in the Dann Gym, it was a moment of honor. I felt so blessed to be standing there in the raucous atmosphere where I got to deliver the play-by-play of this important game.

An audience is actually counting on me. There are people who are happy it's me calling the action.

That's what that moment meant to me. Patriotism? Sure. But it's a moment of peace.

Then it was time for me to deliver the details.

Unfortunately, the details were not to Brunswick's liking.

But I gave a fair and honest call, even having a moment of questioning the officials. I still don't quite agree with the technical foul on Jalen Pray for hanging on the rim but I respect the job of the officials.

So it's just a question because I couldn't understand but that's the way it goes, I guess.

I saw a thing on X/Twitter yesterday about "energy" as a broadcaster. That led to more preaching from the wings about NBA and NHL energy (when calling hockey) and how it's no longer 1954 and so on.

Er. OK.

I don't think it's my job to be an entertainer. Certainly, I hope my broadcasts are entertaining but it's honestly towards the bottom of things that I hope the audience is getting.

First and foremost, I want the audience to get the details of my reporting. You know, journalism.

So, Reporting.

Then I want you to pick up on the Information.

Then I want to Elaborate on that information while perhaps educating as needed.

Then, and only then, I want you to be Entertained.

R.I.E.E.

If we make you laugh, great. Or if we produce other emotions, well, OK.

But I'm not there to be a clown.

The bigger personalities in play-by-play have existed for years, going all the way back to Graham McNamee and Bill Stern and Ted Husing and Ty Tyson.

Then Rosey Rowswell and Dizzy Dean and even Bob Uecker and Phil Rizzuto.

Then Mike Lane and Gus Johnson to current "voices" who need witty phrases and screaming histrionics. To me, that's more about making it about them versus making it about the game.

Entertainers have always existed but most still reported.

It's to what extent you take the calls. The high-flying types are just never going to be my style. I'm not from the school of Gus Johnson but to each their own.

There are things I think that are just bad. But there's an audience for everyone and people get their jobs somehow. Damned if I know how because we know quality doesn't matter.

But I stick to doing my own thing. There are times I question if my energy is too high or if I get too loud.

But nobody will ever question my passion.


And so, after the emotions of the Brunswick/GCDS game, I headed over to the Westchester County Center to call the Woodlands/Westlake Class B semifinal game.

What a thrill. I've always wanted to be a part of the Section One tournament. While I love calling championship games, I was still pretty hyped up to call this one.

And Woodlands, from Hartsdale (where my dad was born), won this one.

Two more hockey games tomorrow.

Two more championships.

Live from Brewster.

But first, we'll honor George Harrison for his 81st birthday on "Meet the Beatles."

Join me on WGCH for that.

No comments: