Saturday, August 05, 2023

The Drive to Connecticut

 

Looking along the coastline on Delaware Route 1

I'm home.

In the end, it was over 2,000 miles total over nine days between Greenwich to Buffalo and driving around Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Then Buffalo to Pittsburgh and driving around there. Then down to West Virginia. Then down to Fayetteville, NC. Then we drove all around there, including heading as far south as Florence, SC.

Then today, we rolled from near Fayetteville to Ocean City, MD.

Then, just after 3 p.m., I said goodbye to Sean as he joined his friends for the next week. I'm excited for him.



That left me to first tour Ocean City a bit (seems great) before rolling into Delaware and up Route 1 before making a quick stop at the outlets near Rehoboth Beach. I bought nothing, for the record.

As I did that, I took note of Trumbull in the Babe Ruth World Series. Though I couldn't watch or listen, I saw that they won 11-0 over Australia. They play again tomorrow.

It's sad that there's no audio broadcast for schlubs like me in the car but contracts and partnerships are the priority.

Oh well.

Bad picture of a sign at the beginning of U.S. 50 in 
Ocean City that says "Sacramento 3073" on it.
That's because U.S. 50 other end is in California.

The road continued up through Delaware and its often stunning scenery before I finally hit the expressway.

I made one last stop -- a Wawa in Delaware -- to fuel up in every way possible (gas, coffee, dinner).

I made the rest of the drive home, pulling into the driveway at 9:14 p.m.

I can't possibly explain how important this trip was. Oh, it was a lot with multiple components. A lot of cooperation was necessary and, even when it didn't seem possible, it all turned out fine.

Traffic jam on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel.
No picture will do it justice.

Trust me, being stuck in traffic on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel was anything but desirable, especially if hovering over the bay isn't your idea of fun.

Then, taking a half hour to go six miles into Ocean City was enough to test patience.

But I come home with a full heart, grateful for a road trip that I won't forget. 

Oh, The Cat is quite pleased to see me, but also keeps making his meows at me, proving again why his alternate name is "Squeaky."

Everything is unpacked and put away. Laundry is lined up to be done.

An incredible cheesecake made the ride home, created by Kristy last night. It will get devoured.

It will be a quiet and peaceful day tomorrow, with only food being an issue.

But the Great Road Trip of 2023 is over. The memories will linger of technically being in Canada and looking at the majesty of the Falls.

Or Pittsburgh, a great American city with a great football team.

Or West Virginia and it's stunning beauty.

And North Carolina and the laughs, comfort, and Southern hospitality that we get.

Too many memories to try to list.

Virginia -- if it happens -- would likely be Tuesday.

San Francisco, which is also happening, isn't until October. 

I'm always up for another road trip but I'm really thrilled to have made it home from NC via OC. Those last six-plus hours were a grind.

The next adventure awaits.

No comments: