Saturday, August 19, 2023

Little to No Fuss

 

"Ah, but between you and me and the Staten Island ferry"
- Billy Joel (Picture taken yesterday)

It was a mostly peaceful yet busy Saturday around the old homestead.

I began digging into the schedule for the fall as Brunswick has asked for me to do football and fútbol again. We'll flesh out the details but I'm trying to do as much as possible. The same goes for Greenwich football which appears to be a go on WGCH once again.

And, look, I'll say it. It should be. It's tradition. It was clear when every game wasn't on WGCH in 2021 that many felt a tradition was lost. So I'm fighting for as much as possible.

But WGCH is also a business so sponsors are needed. And I've put the word out for guests for "Doubleheader."

To that end, I'm also trying to figure out how to cover everything even if I'm not the lead broadcaster. I have a few ideas that I'm hoping will work out.

Chris Erway is planning to be along for the majority of the games. His schedule gets busy with kids' birthdays and other conflicts on his calendar but he does a great job of juggling it all. He puts up with me for four months and then doesn't see me again (he's smart). I still have a cookie holder riding around in my car from last November.

So our renowned "A-Team" will come together again for an 11th year. Or 12th or 10th. It's hard to keep it all straight.

But there very well may be an opening for a play-by-play announcer and/or analyst to fill in. 

I suppose I'll say "inquire within" for now but keep in mind that I have a few things in mind and need to see how this will all shake out.

Still, scrimmages will be upon us soon for both Brunswick and Greenwich with the first game on Sep 9 at 2 p.m. as Greenwich hosts Fairfield Prep in the Class LL Championship rematch.

The first soccer game is the following Monday, Sep 11.

I'll be working early that morning, as WGCH has asked me to anchor the Sep 11 ceremony coverage from Cos Cob Park. 

I live here in town and it makes sense to get me involved so I'm honored to be asked.

The day also included me recording a podcast with my good friend, fellow road enthusiast, and potential game broadcaster Dan Murphy. This is the fourth time (I think) I've been on the "Gribblenation Roadcast" having previously been on as a guest to discuss my career and for a couple of sports previews. Tonight, Dan and I discussed the NFL as well as the utter disaster that is baseball in New York.

The podcast will soon be available on Spotify and wherever you get your podcasts. Previous episodes are available also and you can mock my horrible predictions. Don't worry, I mocked myself tonight.

Oh, and a potential game broadcaster? Well, Dan asked me to do a mock play-by-play with him at the Buffalo Bisons game in late July. With an audience around us, we called some of the game together that night. I heard potential and we definitely had chemistry.

Earlier tonight, Sean and I popped out to grab dinner and he worked this morning over at WGCH.

It was while we were running to dinner that I got a call from a friend who just wanted to check in and say hello. It was great to talk for a few minutes. I'm always grateful for their friendship and, like many of us, we normally just text. This was taking the extra step to call. I'm further grateful for their listening to games and shows.

Lastly, they're right. I did fly off the handle earlier this week and I know it's not a good look for me. Some love it when I get passionate on the air like that. I have friends who tell me they love "Mad Rob." But there's still a line. There are still things that bother me about the whole exchange. Especially the inaccurate parts but we keep moving on.

Lastly, I need to spend a moment to highlight just how awesome last night was. To be honest, it's enormously weird to be on Staten Island without Susan being around but she's away and was able to listen to the broadcasts.

Both games finished with a final score of 5-4 but they were fun, hard-fought, and played with the gorgeous background of Lower Manhattan in front of us.

In truth, I knew Kathy but had never met her in person (save for a Facetime call on my birthday one year)  until last night. But Sean and I both walked away just overwhelmed with her kindness and good humor.

It was a great night supporting these women in the easiest way I know how: talking. I bloviated for roughly three hours between two games and tried to make people laugh while reporting a couple of interesting softball games.

There are lots of things out there that deserve coverage that don't get it and I was glad to provide it. While not necessary, Kathy and the league gave us a few gifts to thank us.

I hope it all happens again. Maybe next time, I'd stay over so that I don't have to drive home. That being said, I'd do a better job of eating because, again, I had some struggles with anxiety in the car. At least that's how I'm describing it.

I can't stress this enough: we were not in danger at all but it's something I'm aware of now.

First, it was on the bridge across I-78 towards Bayonne. Then it was on the Bayonne Bridge. Later, on the Goethals. Even in tighter spots on the NJ Turnpike and Palisades Parkway. 

It required focus and maybe even a tighter grip on the steering wheel but, again, there was never any danger. It's just something I'm aware of and it concerns me given how much I love to drive.

These are all roads and bridges that I've driven before. 

We'll figure it out.

New adventures tomorrow.

No comments: