Thursday, August 03, 2023

Books, a Beaver, and Pedro

 

Muppet (the cat) and Hector (the human, I think)

I used to be a fierce book owner. 

Then they became overwhelming and, as a result, I've switched over to books on Kindle.

They were overwhelming to move especially.

But, sometimes, I need the printed copy and I bought two today.

Let's start with today being about being a tourist.

The first stop was with a beaver.

We went to Buc-ee's in Florence, SC. 

I've mentioned it before but it is worth repeating. It's a gas station/convenience store on steroids. It's got food and ultra-clean restrooms and candy and beverages and gifts and t-shirts and sweatshirts and camping goods and it's just wow.

Along with 120 gas pumps and whatever else.

I'm sure there are those who pull, get gas, maybe use the restroom, and leave. Yet, I'd imagine most take 20 minutes or more to peruse the store.

We were there today. Hector, Evelyn, Eleanor, and Isabel dashed in, nosed around, grabbed food, and went back to the car.

Sean and I walked the whole place and made a few purchases. For one thing, you'll spy each of us in a new Buc-ee's t-shirt.

But the food. Oh, the food. I've seen people review it with mixed results. I'm here to say the brisket I had was outstanding. It hit the spot and I'm sorry that is literally the closest I come to a Buc-ee's in my travels.

Sean also said the pulled pork was amazing.

But our day wasn't done and this had nothing to do with books.


Next, of course, was Pedro. For it was time for South of the Border.

Our favorite tourist trap continues to evolve with buildings having been torn down in spots but plenty of customers still strolling around the grounds. 

We hit our favorite spot -- Mexico Shop West -- and walked all of the aisles, with me succumbing to the allure of a new S.O.B. mug. It won't replace my current S.O.B. mug but will simply be an addition. It is adorned with classic billboards from the glory days of South of the Border advertising.

And that, finally, leads me to the first book purchase.

It will come as no surprise that I belong to a South of the Border group on Facebook. It was through the group that I discovered a fellow member had written a book. PJ Capelotti's effort -- Your Sheep Are All Counted, A Roadside Archaeology of South of the Border Billboards -- is a deep dive into those glory days.

The book came out in Apr 2022 and I was there last August. So why didn't I get one?

Because I'm a fool. S.O.B.'s motor lodge had an ad for it (and we stayed there). The Mexico Shop West had copies.

And I just completely walked away without looking at it. I forgot and, frankly, I fumbled the ball.

Before you ask, it is no longer available on Amazon or, literally, anywhere else. Even the publisher lists it as out of stock. At this point, it appears it can only be purchased at South of the Border. 

So I was out of luck until I came back to South of the Border today.

"I think you should buy it," Sean said. 


He was right. I'm 10 pages in and I'm fully engaged. I'm fascinated.

South of the Border continues to evolve. Some of it for the better and so on. We were able to go up in the sombrero tower and enjoy the view. The Hot Tamale restaurant, once a staple for us, has been redone as Burrito Loco Mexican Street Food. My review is that it's good but what made Hot Tamale better to us was that it was a quick and simple grill of burgers and chili dogs and other goodies. There was more variety and it felt like a restaurant at South of the Border.

Also, it was open 24 hours at one time.

This was fine. We each tried a taco.

But it was time to return to the house.

We had our S.O.B. fun and that's when the next book purchase came to be.

Earlier in the day, Susan told me she had her new volume of poems in the final stages of being published on Barnes and Noble's website. I got to see a preview but it wasn't available to be purchased in a physical form yet.

Then, right around 2 p.m. today, it was ready to go on Amazon. 


I was on Interstate 95 North when I found out and, seconds later, I had it ordered. I'll receive my copy in a few days in Connecticut.

I can't wait. Just as with Skipping Rocks (her most recent book), it's a collection of poems that she wrote. Then, she selected the ones that she thought were best for the circumstances. It was a process to her that was deeply personal and the result was phenomenal. 

As with Skipping Rocks, I fully support and endorse Broken Places (buy it here).

It will be an emotional journey.

No comments: