Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Baseball on a Virginia Morning

 


So I'm not known for my confidence.

Or it often gets misunderstood.

I use that as simply an introduction to being here in Virginia.

I went over to the absolutely gorgeous Virginia Credit Union Stadium today to watch some of the early Babe Ruth World Series action. I was also there to watch Trumbull take batting practice and watched the game from a lounge chair while the New England champs took their cuts behind me.

I love visiting a stadium and being able to look around. I got to hang out in the shade and stay out of the Fredericksburg sun. 

I also got to have breakfast (WAFFLE HOUSE!) during which I was able to see and hear the quality of the broadcast that is being presented.

There's a reason I prefer to not hear other broadcasters.

But I'm always grateful when I hear how much my voice is missed. I read a text last night (which wasn't sent to me) saying how much everyone would rather hear me calling these games.

That pleases me. There's no question I sit in the stands and call the game in my brain. 

Much has been bandied about recently over preparation to the point that I'm fairly sick of the topic. One thing that I can be fairly (dare I say) confident about is that I could jump in and call something cold. I don't know why I can but I can.

And so it was that as I watched teams from Florida and Pennsylvania this morning, I wondered if I could pick up the call if I was asked to go to the booth.

While it wouldn't be perfect (and it never is) the answer is a resounding yes.

Oh, I'd find stuff to talk about. But I'd also trust my ability as a play-by-play announcer and a storyteller to fill in the blanks.

Of course, this is all fantasy, but I feel I need to think this way.


So I enjoyed walking around the stadium -- mostly empty, to be honest -- to see some of the corners and elements of the home of the Fred Nats.

I didn't go near the press box, for the record. Oh, I saw the play-by-play announcer. I wanted to see his perspective (third base line, very much away from home plate). I wanted to imagine it in my mind.

Sure, I always like shaking the hand of another announcer. I like supporting others in the biz.

But I didn't go up there.

That, of course, leads me back to the bizarre Kevin Brown story that has stunk up baseball since it broke on Monday. It just remains bizarre and makes the Baltimore Orioles look so small. The story continues to percolate today and Brown remains unofficially suspended for reasons that defy explanation.

If this was a different situation, in which someone had said something truly heinous, the industry would react differently.

But this -- at face value -- is so innocuous. Brown has literally no reason to be held off broadcasts and, until an explanation is offered by Brown or Orioles ownership, specifically John Angelos, the story will continue to roll.

It does remind me that from WGCH to Local Live to the Renegades to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (now Islander) to colleges, Neversink Radio, Mount Saint Mary College, and, well, everywhere, I've never been censored like that. Have there been players or coaches who had an issue? Yes -- minor ones. I recall a Greenwich coach taking me aside to explain his reasoning behind a play because of something I said. 

But it's all been minor. Yes, I've certainly made mistakes and got bitten by a live mic, but even the most obnoxious of radio executives didn't mute me.

Without making it "about me" (a HUGE problem in the business) I'm only saying that I've been fortunate.

I've been booked into the room I had last night so I guess I'll be here for a few more days.

Of that, I am confident.

No comments: